Airtunes and my network setup

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by joelovesapple, Sep 14, 2009.

1. joelovesapple macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

Hi, I am thinking theoretically here; I don't have an airport express at the moment but I am thinking of adding one to my network. I own the Apple Airport extreme base station (n) and my iMac connects to it via 200mbps Powerline ethernet, due to the size of my house and all it's walls and ceilings :eek:.

I was wondering if it could be reliable enough to do iTunes streaming in my home? I understand the Airtunes device is N too which is a boon. Ideally I'd like to keep the connection to my AEBS as it is because with wifi, even with N, is patchy at best. I don't know why but it's been piss poor even with this good a router.

Also, does it work in multiple rooms if you have more than one Express? Would the song in the kitchen be the same one as the one in the kitchen and mac, for example?

I'm considering this for a future purchase as I've always dreamed of unchaining my library of 25500+ songs from my mac and playing it on something other than a computer.

Any advice is welcomed. Thankyou. :)

Forgot to add that I'd add the express to the sony hi-fi in the lounge, with the correct audio cabling and so on.

2. SqB macrumors 6502

Not sure if I understand exactly what your configuration will look like, but I think you will like the express. Yes you can have multiple units and they will all play the same music (and even keep it in synch). Also, not sure how fancy your Hi-Fi is, but the express has optical digital out. That might be a help if you've got a high end system.

3. SqB macrumors 6502

Also, keep in mind that the express seems to have about 1/2 the range of the extreme. That might be a factor in your setup.

4. joelovesapple thread starter macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

Cheers sqb. As it happens, the AEBS is in the room next to the stereo! So I don't think the range would be an issue.

Thanks again. :)