Airtunes blipping, i know why, but can i fix it?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by marknicholls, Dec 20, 2009.

1. marknicholls macrumors 6502

Hey

I have stup up Airtunes (Express) and it works fine from computers on the LAN connected via ethernet, but the one PC it doesnt work well on is in the kitchen (wireless with a 90% connection N).

The express obviosly has a good connection otherwise it wouldnt work on the other PCs.

It seems that the way iTunes works is that if you play music from a shared location (we have a music server) it doesnt stream the music direct from the source to the express, the music travels via the PC with which is controlling the music (which is a bit silly?)

Due to this, the Kitchen PC doesnt work well, but if when clicked play, the music went straight from the source to the express it would work fine

I hope i have explained myself OK, and any thought would be great

Thanks

2. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Does it act weird only when you are using the microwave? Mine cuts out whenever I heat my coffee.

3. marknicholls thread starter macrumors 6502

No thats not the issue - does anyone have any other ways of fixing the above? Have i explained myself clearly?

Thanks

4. marknicholls thread starter macrumors 6502

5. marknicholls thread starter macrumors 6502

Really? The best so far is am i using my microwave?! :)

6. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Have you tried a temporary wired connection?

Are you using any Wireless G devices on your N network?

Is it all the time or sometimes?

7. cderalow macrumors 6502

cderalow

there is no way to adjust the process.

it'd be physically impossible for the AirPort Express to play music without it first being processed by iTunes on some computer, since the AirPort Express doesn't contain any music playing software (iTunes). What it is capable of doing, is decoding the appropriately encoded signal into an appropriately modulating signal for speakers to play music.

consider the airport express your speaker, and itunes your stereo.

would you expect speakers to play music without a stereo (excluding radio interference as a result of the wires acting as a small antenna)

8. marknicholls thread starter macrumors 6502

Many Thanks for the response

Is there any way some iTunes server software could run on my Ubuntu server to "Play" the music, but control the music on another PC?

Thanks