Airtunes causes MBP to loose network connection

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jkarp, Nov 3, 2008.

1. jkarp macrumors member

hello all,
    I've had the following setup working for a long time until recently. I had to take my MBP into the Apple store so they could replace the screen last week. Ever since I got it back, I've had the following problem:

Setup:
    MBP running 10.5, all software updates, iTunes 8.

iMac running 10.5, all software updates, iTunes 8

Airport Extreme plugged into cable modem (call this Airport "main"). It's running WPA/WPA2 Personal and has the latest firmware.

Airport Express plugged into stereo (call this "stereo")

Airport Express plugged into portable speakers (call this "speakers")

So here's the problem.

When on the MBP my connections are all fine (meaning connection to Internet, Airports, etc) until I start streaming Airtunes. If I watch pings to the Airport "main" (or any of the Airports), within 20 seconds of enabling Airtunes, my pings start dropping until I either stop Airtunes or stop iTunes. If I'm not using Airtunes, my pings are at 0% packet loss.

During the packet drops on my MBP, if I watch the pings from the iMac, they are 100% successful to the same target I'm pinging on the MBP.

I've tried changing Airport channels, switching from WDS to "join this network", changed multicast rates, moved base stations, and anything else I can think of with no change. The one thing that's changed is Apple replacing my screen. This means that they opened up my MBP to change out the screen, so maybe they messed up the wireless antenna or something?

Also, when having these connection dropouts, if I open the Airport utility, most of the time I am not able to see any or some of the Airports. I have to keep refreshing until they all show up.

Any thoughts or advice would be really appreciated. I've looked in the OS X console and also the Airport logs and there is nothing during the times I see these connection drops. I can reproduce the drops simply by enabling Airtunes, so any troubleshooting advice will be very simple.

Thanks in advance for any help... Josh

2. xjames macrumors member

I have exactly the same problem. (with one airport extreme plugged into cable modem and one express plugged into my stereo). After updating airport to 6.3, airtunes worked fine for a few hours without dropping my connection, but then the problem started again.

I've tried all the suggestions on the apple discussion forums, and nothing helps.

I play online poker a lot while listening to music, and can't disconnect in the middle of a money game... so I don't even try streaming anymore.

It's astounding that apple hasn't released a fix for this (its been weeks.. or more), or even acknowledged the problem.