AirTunes: Error -3256

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rKunda, Sep 14, 2008.

1. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

Hi,

I'm having trouble getting airtunes to play to my remote speakers. It worked as of this morning, but I moved the box to the other side of the room and added a printer. Ended up reseting the airport express. It's set up with a green light, but when I attempt to play music I get "An error occurred while connecting to the remote speaker.... An unknown error occurred (-3256)" etc.

I've upgraded the airport firmware, reset settings for AEBS and the express, restarted the computer, and now I am out of ideas.

Also, I checked online and a ton of websites, including Apple, say to go into the firewall and stop blocking UDP (or something traffic). On Leopard, that option isn't there. In any case, that shouldn't be an issue... even turning off the whole firewall didn't help.

2. The General macrumors 601

I had the same problem, an hour or so of Googling lead me to these 3 solutions, your milage may vary. I read your post and realize what you've tried, I'm posting these for those who search. :) Try step 3.

1. Make sure your Airport Express has the most current firmware. Version 6.3 is the most current. Some users are reporting that updating to 6.3 has fixed this problem for them.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/airportexpressfirmwareupdate63formacosx.html

2. If that didn't fix it, go to System Preferences and check your firewall settings. If you're in Tiger, you'll need to go to System Preferences -> Sharing -> Firewall -> Advanced and make sure UDP traffic is NOT blocked. If you have Leopard, make sure you have it set to "Allow Essential services" or just set to "Allow all incoming connections" ... if you set it to the essential services one, add iTunes to the list.

3. If that didn't solve your problem (neither 1 nor 2 solved it for me) then open System Preferences -> Network and in the TCP/IP tab set IPv6 to OFF.

I have no idea why this would fix it for me, or for you. But yeah. Once iTunes 8.0.1 is out, you might want to turn it back on and see if Airtunes works. If so then you're okay. If not, then just leave it off. I doubt it will hurt anything set to off.

3. rKunda thread starter macrumors 65816

rKunda

I appreciate the reply. I've gone through step 3 and am still stuck. If you have anymore ideas, let me know =)

Hopefully I can figure it out. If I do, I'll post a solution.

4. The General macrumors 601

That sucks, but do post it if you find the solution. Sorry I couldn't help.

5. rKunda thread starter macrumors 65816

rKunda

No solution, yet.

Anyone else with ANY ideas?

6. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Just realized I'm in this boat as well. Not a happy camper :rolleyes:

I aint going to do any of the recommendations, basically for one reason, my Mac aint for tinkering and I dont want to be fiddling with those setttings, not bacause I dont know what I'm doing but because I down right don't want to.

What happened to it just works....

7. Pilsbury1981 macrumors member

Air tunes

Hi

I bought AirPort Express today just for airtunes. My intel mac can see it But cant get the light to go green. I get the option to play through it in itunes but when i select to play through remote speakers it just comes up connection timed out???????? Please help.
    Thank you

8. jhitchco macrumors newbie

I've had some other problems where IPv6 needs to be turned off (like The General says) in order to make things work but I was getting a 3256 error until I read this article and turned IPv6 back to automatically:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2278

There is no v6 transit at home but there is at the office. Not sure what the story is but I can make the problem occur and stop by turning v6 on and off.

9. Seahorse007 macrumors newbie

AirTunes: Error -3256

I want to express my gratitude to the General: option 3 did the trick. FINALLY we can listen to our playlists again on our stereo. Yahoo!

10. Pilsbury1981 macrumors member

My error was my express was behind the telly and was unable to receive signal. I moved it to a different socket with nothing in front of it and it worked fine.

11. lov2bikeNrock macrumors newbie

Tnx

Hey, Thanks general,

# 2 worked. I don't know what UDP is and I hope this won't hurt me, but now I can blast tunes all over the house.