AirTunes feature applied to entire OS?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by illicium, May 29, 2008.

1. illicium macrumors regular

Does anyone else think that the AirTunes feature that allows iTunes to be played over any stereo via AirPort Express would be a great feature across the whole OS and not just through iTunes? I personally would like to be able to stream all audio through my home theater system, like when I am watching a youtube video, or a dvd, or working on an imovie or garageband project.

Anyone else agree?

2. illicium thread starter macrumors regular

I tried that, and it's a great idea, but there is about a 3 second lag between video in quicktime and audio out of my airport express. Thats why I want it to be part of the OS, where it can actually synchronize the two.

3. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Well, if you find something that is cheap let us all know. You are asking audio to stream through a network and come back out of your sound system and still sync with the video.

Unfortunately, that is not going to happen without getting some sort of time delay system. The longer the audio has to go to get to your speakers the longer the delay, and if your bandwidth gets bogged down the more the delay. And that's why with the Airfoil it says "audio".

Sorry for the bad news...

Peace:cool:

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

So far the only way to do this is to use an AppleTV.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Use the Airfoil Video Player. It ensures sync...