Airtunes Intercom?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by spamdumpster, Mar 15, 2008.

1. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

I have an iMac and two airport expresses -- one in the basement, on in the family room -- and I put on music for my kids all the time. I'd love to be able to pause the music and tell them something -- come up for dinner, stop hitting your sister, etc. Anyone have any idea if this is possible and how?

Perhaps I could create live a live audio stream using the iMac's built-in microphone and point itunes to the IP address of the stream? Any other ideas?

2. doobi18 macrumors 6502

easy

good idea, I thought of it myself just the other day.

You need a program called AirFoil sending the audio of any program with mic monitor, eg garageband (I'm sure there are better patch-throughs).
    If you want to pre-record the messages then use voicecandy.

Hope that helps,

Doobs

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

lol i loled at "stop hitting your sister"

there is a program called "airfoil" (which you need to pay for" that allows you to send all types of things.

there is a cheaper work around, you could use the ichat/adium "bonjour" service (probably ichat) which will allow you to send audio/video/text services to any computer in the house. works for me when i talk to my dad/mum/whoever.

4. doobi18 macrumors 6502

That's compleely irrelevant for streaming audio to an airport express :D

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

maybe so, but maybe the OP could have found out that my idea was a great idea, and may have decided to use it. just trying to help