Airtunes Network Connection keeps on Failing....

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by whyrichard, Aug 19, 2010.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

When connecting to my airtunes speakers I get:

"An error occurred while connecting to the remote speaker "xxxxxx". The network connection failed."

I tried reconfiguring the airport express multiple times but it consistently does this. How do i begin diagnosing it?

Is there firmware to update?

thanks,

r.

2. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

i just realized it works through my laptop, but not my desktop? (09 mac pro)

anyone else have these problems? what would make it work through one computer but not another?

thanks,
    r.

3. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

funny...

problem reoccured just now, i google search for it, and i come across my own thread for a year or so ago...

talk about crickets!

r.

4. eyeluvmyimac macrumors regular

Sorry I can't help, but I've been having this problem lately too. It seems to pop up randomly. I'm still able to stream to the Airport Express from other computers and/or my iPad/iPhone, but not my Macbook.

A reboot has fixed it for me in the past, but rebooting is such a pain since I have so many apps open (one of the features Lion will be awesome for). Rebooting the Airport Express itself has *not* fixed it for me in the past - so it must be something on my Macbook.

Until I find a real fix, I just stream from another device when I'm having this issue.

5. ReggaeFire macrumors 6502

Most commonly this is related to wireless networks being a little flaky. Sometimes though, it can be other software causing the issue. About a year ago my company switched our VPN concentrator and this meant we had to start using Cisco AnyConnect. For some reason using that program would kill my connection to remote speakers in iTunes. Not just while I was actively connected, but it would continue to fail until I rebooted my computer. I was able to replicate this on multiple computers in a couple different networks, so it was clearly a bug in the Cisco software. In the end I never found a solution, I just started VPN'ing with the old software to a different office we haven't upgraded yet.

6. c32077 macrumors newbie

Having the same issues here. Late 2009 MacBook Pro, iTunes 10.3.1.

I am very frustrated with this. I've had my remote speakers drop off here and there in the past, but a quick selection of the speakers in the Multiple Speakers window would reconnect them and I was back in business. This is the first time it's stayed unconnected and given me an error every time I try to reconnect. It has been working perfectly for months. All of a sudden, nothing.

To make it worse, after repeated attempts to reconnect through the Multiple Speakers window one of the attempts was successful. Worked for about 15 minutes and then out again. Ugh!

I've not updated anything recently and I've restarted everything with my fingers crossed. Still won't work. This is really bugging me, as I'm sure it is bugging everyone. I am now carrying around a small Bluetooth speaker with me everywhere I go in my house to hear my music. I really hope we get some kind of solution for this soon.

Just hoping to get some help by bumping the thread.

Thanks for dealing with my rant.

Peace.

7. darrellishere macrumors 6502

What is the point of buying AirTunes express if it dosnt work.

My mac or iPhone 4 is only 2 meters away from the damn thing and it still looses the connection and can never reconnect.

This is pointless crap

8. JediMeister macrumors 68040

AirTunes/AirPlay reliability is still susceptible to interference or other factors irregardless of physical distance between the source and the output device. Assuming the AirPort Express is not your primary router, what is? Is the main router/switch running up-to-date firmware, properly configured? And have other network services shown similar interruptions?

9. joyless macrumors newbie

i'm having exactly same problem :( been using airport express for few weeks without issues now, but today music just stopped and i get "the network connection failed" error. streaming from my iphone and ipad works just great, but my late-2009 MBP just wont work :/