Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mvalentine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2008
Dear experts,

I had bought an Airport Express a little over a year ago, and plugged it into my stereo receiver to play my iTunes catalog though my stereo speakers. At the time my system was using OS 10.3.9 and I think I was using iTunes 7 or some version around there. Everything was working fine.

I had recently upgraded to OS 10.4.1.1 and downloaded iTunes 8. All of a sudden iTunes tells me it can't find my remote speakers. I opened up Airport Utility and sure enough, it can't detect any remote wireless devices. Is it just an iTunes 8 issue, because my wife's laptop had OS 10.4.1.1 before I did and before she downloaded iTunes 8 she could also play her catalog through the speakers. Now she can't either. However, her laptop can still go online so the Airport must be working somehow, right?

I noticed that the light on the Airport Express is orange as opposed to the usual green. I tried the "paper clip/reset button" thing but it almost immediately turns orange again.

I tried a firmware update, but that didn't seem to do anything either.

Should I downgrade to an earlier version of iTunes? Will that solve the problem or make things worse?

Please help!

mvalentine

Batt

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2007
Syracuse, NY
I've got Leopard and iTunes 8 and a couple-of-year-old Express and everything's fine, so I doubt downgrading to iTunes 7 will help.
If the Express light is orange, it's not connecting. Make sure when you reset it, you hold the paper clip long enough to reset it to factory defaults and then start the AirPort Utility process over. Beyond this, I'm as clueless as you are.

CraazedChef

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2009
Airport Express Connection irregularities

Hi people,
The beginning description of this post partially fits my scenario.
I'm running a non-apple wireless network - Netgear WAP and Linksys Router.
Have had successful relationship with all 3 Airport Express of varying generations (05, 07 & 08) 2 x G and 1 x N.
Netgear WAP is only 54mbs therefore only B&G networks broadcast.
I am fortunate to be on a new Macbook as of JUL09, all updates on Firmware applied on Airport, Router, WAP and MAC.
Problem Is: Airport Express 2008 (N network) is the only Airport to work on the Wireless Network, as of last update or two.
Multiple resets and programming of all airport devices, which then initially show up in Airport Util and iTunes Speakers. Then when selected to play via that route, error occurs and sometimes a Force Quit on iTunes is required.
I'm a bit over this one, hopefully some enthusiast has tuned in and can help??
In appreciative anticipation..
CC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.