airtunes setup question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kyle1188, Jul 18, 2009.

1. kyle1188 macrumors newbie

have a mac pro and just bought a airport extreme base station and airport express, i set up a network and im connected via ethernet cable, roommates use wireless.

i need to extend the signal with the express and to set up airtunes in my place. can this be done through the base station or do i need to have the wireless card installed in my mac?

thanks

2. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.231 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

If you are wired to the AEBS you should be able to modify both the base and the express; go > utilities > airport setup

3. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

You must make sure that the Airport Express is set to extend wireless network in the mode. That way it will extend your current AEBS.

4. kyle1188 thread starter macrumors newbie

that what it thought i had to do but i can't get the express to show up in airport utility unless it is connect with an ethernet cable to the router, any thoughts?

5. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

It won't show up as a wireless device until you configure it (since it won't connect to the AEBS). You need to do this by connecting it to the AEBS with a cable, then set it up to either extend your network or to act as a wireless client depending on what you want to do with it.