Airtunes Speakers NOT Showing up in itunes: Please Help

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Heart Break Kid, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Heart Break Kid macrumors 6502a

I have an airport express (AX) in the main living room hooked up to the speakers. The AX is hooked to the network via ethernet. I have a PC running windows XP and the latest greatest version of iTunes. The PC is on my home network via ethernet. In the AX settings I have selected the box that says "enable streaming via ethernet". Everything was working great! Then yesterday, the remote speakers stopped showing up in my iTunes. I have not been able to figure out why, or how to fix the problem.

Any advice?
    Im literally ready to pull my hair out.

It should be noted that, the speakers appear fine on my Macbook running the same version of iTunes.

I am not running windows firewall.

2. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

You can't have two computers connected to Airtrunes in iTunes at the same time. I think.

3. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

I dont.
    I was just checking to see if the remote speakers would appear on different computers. They work on all the Mac in my home, but not the PC. I cant figure out what the deal is.

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

The express will show up in both copies iTunes, but if one is connected, when you try to connect the other, it will pop up an error. It should still be on the list regardless if the other is connected or not.

on the windows box, restart iTunes, if you haven't already, in my experience it only likes to find airtunes when it starts.

from the windows box can you ping the express?
    -find the IP of the express, should be on the first page of the setup (not at home, can't check now)
    on the windows machine
    -Start -> run -> type "cmd"
    -in the new window, type "ping ***.***.***.***" where the * are replaced by the IP number

you should get several lines of numbers back, if you don't the windows machine can't see the express on the network.

5. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

I got several lines of ping back ...err what now?

6. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Bottom right side of iTunes window, select "Multiple speakers" in the drop-down menu.

7. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

THere is no drop down menu

Thats the problem Im trying to fix :)

8. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

I sometimes had this problem with my Airport Express. Unplugging and plugging the router back in (i.e. restarting it) usually fixed the problem.

Check in AirPort Utility that it is still configured to allow AirTunes in case it somehow got reset.

9. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

It seems to be configured fine. I tried unplugging the AX and plugging it back in. Im still at a loss :(

10. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

What happens if you connect directly to the Airport Express (you might need to enable it as a Wi-Fi router) - do you get the AirTunes option?

I've never used AirTunes over ethernet, so I don't know if it is inconsistent.

11. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

When I connect to AirTunes over WiFi, it works just great..but thats from my mac. My PC is on a wired connection. As of 3 days ago, detecting remote speakers via ethernet no longer works :(

12. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Does your Mac see AirTunes when you have the Airport Express wired or is it just your PC?

13. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

My Mac sees it fine when its wired, its just my pc that doesnt

14. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Well then it isn't anything to do with your Airport Express, or your router configuration.

Must be something on your PC that has changed. Maybe your firewall on your PC is blocking iTunes? Do a wee test, share your iTunes Music Library on your PC and your Mac and see if you can see it on both.

15. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good question. I didnt even think about htat.
    I can see the iTunes library of my PC on my mac, and my mac on pc!
    So sharing seems to be working great:)

16. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Well that narrows it down a bit more - I don't think it is a firewall issue. Are you able to configure the AirPort Express on your Windows machine?

Strange issue - definitely something's changed on your Windows machine though so guess we have to keep pecking at that to find the cause.

17. physjosh macrumors newbie

Under Preferences -> Advanced, is "Look for remote speakers connected with AirTunes" checked?

18. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes sir, that is checked

I can configure my Airport Express on my windows machine without a problem .

Its this fact that has me so confused. I know my PC can see the Airport Express, since I can configure it over Ethernet. However, iTunes is unable to see the remote speaker =\

EDIT!:
    I wanted to mention a change I just noticed. I downloaded the Airport Admin Utility for Windows, and ran it. When I hit the Manual Setup and clicked on the "Music" tab, I noticed that "stream music via ethernet" option was not present any more. I remember seeing it previously. Im not sure if this means anything, nor am I sure how to get it back.

I tried logging into the Airport Admin Utility on my Macbook, and found the same "stream music via ethernet" option nonexistent. iTunes on my Macbook no longer detects remote speakers =\

19. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

[​IMG]

You have that same option I assume when you load AirPort Utility? You confused me when you said that the Ethernet option was no longer available.

Also, what Airport Express do you have? N version or the B/G one? Check there isn't any firmware updates for it you might have missed.

20. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have the B/G airport express. The firmware update says im up to date - version 6.3 apparently

[​IMG]

21. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Would you mind posting what is says under "Internet"? Or in fact images from each tab may help to narrow down the problem. I would also try seeing if you can access the Express from AirPort Utility for Windows, and see if the Ethernet option shows up there. If it does, then you are having a plist problem on the Mac, if not, then you may want to consider resetting the AirPort so it thinks it is new and you can start from scratch.

TEG

22. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ill try resetting the AX right now. Ill post pictures of each tab shortly

Thank you so much for the patience / help. You should know I am incredibly grateful, regardless of whether the problem is solved or not

After resetting the base station, this is what appears in each tab:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

:)

Both I and the interweb have given up on this problem?

24. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Did you notice that "AirTunes over Ethernet" is back in your settings (as evidenced by your pictures)? Try it, I think you'll find it working.

TEG

25. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

yea, nice eyesight. i have the same airport express (b/g) but i dont use airtunes... but that option is "there" as in existent for me. check that box and your set.