Airtunes won't connect to Airport Base

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SandersHokie, Sep 26, 2007.

1. SandersHokie macrumors 6502

any idea on what I can do? I tried to run the disk it came with but it says i have to have a DHCP or something and when i say for it to do it it says error. any advice?

also, i have my external hard drive hooked up to the airport base and that won't recognize either, any help?

thanks!

anyone know what i can do?

2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Start over.

First-disconnect everything. Take a deep breath.

Then: Follow the instructions that came with your Airport Express (I'm assuming that is what you are using--right?).

Connect it (Airport Express) to your DSL/cable modem via ethernet.

Connect Airport Express to your stereo if you want.

Plug Airport Express in.

Open Airport Setup Assistant (In the Utilities Folder in your Applications Folder).

Follow the steps. Don't forget to name the Airport Express.

(Make sure your "network" preferences show "Airport" as being at the top of the list.)

If you get stuck along the way, use the "Help" menu.

Good luck!

3. SandersHokie thread starter macrumors 6502

i already have the base hooked up to the ethernet cord though. I am trying to use the airtunes wirelessly by just hooking it up to an AC adapter.

when I try to do the setup it says something about DHCP and i can't use the airtunes thing, or something.

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

What do you mean by "Airport base"? The Express is the only Airport supports AirTunes, but the Express doesn't support USB drives.

How was your network setup before you tried adding this new Airport? Did you have another Airport or some other router?

5. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Exactly. I was assuming you had only the Airport Express as your wireless network. Airport Express only support wireless printing--not accessing a hard drive (unless that has changed).

Please describe your network and computer setup--do you connect through a cable modem or DSL modem? Do you already have an Airport Base Station configured (of any type)? How had your computer connected to the internet before this?

6. SandersHokie thread starter macrumors 6502

sorry, i'm new to this stuff. i have the airport base station hooked up to the ethernet cord. and the airtunes (airport express) is just plugged into my AC adapter in my room with my speakers hooked up to it. the base station has Internet working, but I can't get the airtunes(express) to get the light to turn green and work with itunes. whenever i try the assistant it just tells me that there is an error which i don't understand.

7. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Hey, no sweat! I just put up an Airport Express yesterday, so it's still fresh in my mind......

OK, what is the specific error you're getting? And what step are you getting it at? Do you have the manual that came with the Airport Express?

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

FWIW, my Express was a little funky to get up and running, so no worries.

Here's what I'd try. This is based off of the problems I had with mine, so I'm not sure if it'll help you, but it shouldn't hurt.

Bring your Express close to your computer, or if you have a notebook, get close to the Express.
    Find a paperclip and press/hold the reset button on the Express long enough for it to reset.
    When the Express comes back up (and the light turns green), click on the WiFi icon on your computer. When it shows you the list of available WiFi networks, select the WiFi network that starts with "Apple" (and has a bunch of numbers behind it).
    After you've connected to that WiFi network, run the Airport Utility program and follow the wizard to join the Express to an already existing Airport network.

9. SandersHokie thread starter macrumors 6502

Air Port Card not configured ... In order to use the AirPort Setup Assistant your AirPort card must be enabled and AirPort needs to be turned on and set to use DHCP. Click OK if you would like to change these settings, or Skip if you would like to configure AirPort Base Stations using ethernet.

then if i press OK it says that I have an AirPort card error. If I click skip and try to do it myself, it won't locate anything. but obviously my airport card is working because I am using the AirPort Extreme Base to use the Internet.

well holy crap, that worked! I owe you big time! thanks a ton.

Does anyone know how to get my Hard Drive to recognize on the Airport Extreme Base Station?

10. aristobrat macrumors G4

If you're Extreme is shaped like a UFO, then it's a no-go (doesn't support that feature).

The new 802.11n Extreme (which is shaped flat, like an AppleTV) should see your hard drive as soon as you plug it in. You can verify that by using the Airport Disk utility to connect to the Extreme. There should be a tab that says something about the disk.

The new Extreme comes with a CD that you can use to put the AirDisk program on your computers. That makes connecting to the shared drive a lot easier.

11. SandersHokie thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah its weird because when i go to the disks thing on the AirPort Utility it shows it, but when I go to AirDisk program, it won't recognize it. I have the newer one, just got it last week.

12. aristobrat macrumors G4

That is weird. I don't have that much experience with the disk sharing. I did it once and it seemed to work, but I ended up putting the disk back on my iMac for some reason. I'll try to remember to play around with it some tonight and see if anything jumps out to me as to why yours might not be showing up.

13. SandersHokie thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks a ton. yeah i've tried to restart it, everything i could think of. i've looked on numerous websites but nothing seems to help. it's weird because it shows up being connected but when i use the diskutility it doesn't show up. and i can't find it on my MBP