AirVideo + AirPlay

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by aberrero, Mar 16, 2012.

1. aberrero macrumors 6502a

I think I have finally found a real use case for the ATV3. Does anyone else use this setup regularly?

2. rayyu882 macrumors member

I did try running this last night with my ATV 2, but I was feeding it with rmvb files and it's decent with live conversion. Definitely usable for me.

3. chris8535 macrumors member

I use it all the time for all my downloaded material. I don't know why people say the AppleTV can't play XXX codec or YYY video file. With AirVideo it can play every single video file in existence in a snap.

4. KOLDY macrumors newbie

I use this also and its exactly what i was looking for.

5. Rideherhard macrumors 6502

Air Video is awesome, one of the BEST apps out there.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

Whilst I have used AirVideo in the past, for internal network streaming, organising, compatibility, and a really friggin' great UI - USE PLEX!

Seriously, Plex is a far more superior app, and works much much better. The UI is great, and gives a very good experience :)

If you are out of the country, and wish to stream to your iPad, THEN I recommend AirVideo.

7. aberrero thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the rec. Plex was always more finnicky running off my server than AirVideo. I will try it out again since I am going to be streaming from my desktop now.

8. peterjcat macrumors 6502

Yeah Plex is great. Not only will it transcode anything, it will also avoid transcoding when it's not necessary, including extracting otherwise-compatible streams from incompatible containers (basically remuxing on the fly), which the Air Video devs always said was impossible.