AirVideo + AirPlay

aberrero

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2010
I think I have finally found a real use case for the ATV3. Does anyone else use this setup regularly?

rayyu882

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2010
I did try running this last night with my ATV 2, but I was feeding it with rmvb files and it's decent with live conversion. Definitely usable for me.

chris8535

macrumors member
May 10, 2010
I use it all the time for all my downloaded material. I don't know why people say the AppleTV can't play XXX codec or YYY video file. With AirVideo it can play every single video file in existence in a snap.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
Singapore
Whilst I have used AirVideo in the past, for internal network streaming, organising, compatibility, and a really friggin' great UI - USE PLEX!

Seriously, Plex is a far more superior app, and works much much better. The UI is great, and gives a very good experience :)

If you are out of the country, and wish to stream to your iPad, THEN I recommend AirVideo.

aberrero

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2010
Thanks for the rec. Plex was always more finnicky running off my server than AirVideo. I will try it out again since I am going to be streaming from my desktop now.

peterjcat

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2010
Yeah Plex is great. Not only will it transcode anything, it will also avoid transcoding when it's not necessary, including extracting otherwise-compatible streams from incompatible containers (basically remuxing on the fly), which the Air Video devs always said was impossible.