AirVideo with Ad Hoc Network

Discussion in 'iPad' started by anirudh, Apr 18, 2010.

1. anirudh macrumors 6502

So, I am thinking, what happens when I go to a place where there's no wifi! Would it be possible to create an Ad Hoc network from my laptop, which the iPad would connect to and see all the videos on AirVideo?

2. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

Yep, I've done this from work on a adhoc.

3. anirudh thread starter macrumors 6502

Not able to do it. Do you have a Mac? I am on Win7.

4. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

Both the server and the ad-hoc machine were windows 7. What is your point of failure?

5. anirudh thread starter macrumors 6502

well, this is what I do:

Click the START button, type WIRELESS, select MANAGE WIRELESS NETWORKS, click the ADD button to add a new network, select the AD HOC mode, type in a name for the network, select WEP (also tried WPA2), give it a password.

After creating the network, when I try to join it using the laptop, it says WAITING FOR USERS. The laptop which I created the network on itself isnt able to join the AD HOC network. Maybe I am doing something wrong here?

Just in case I wasnt clear, what I wanna do is create an AD HOC network on my laptop, share some videos by running AIR VIDEO. Then, I want to connect my iPad to the AD HOC network and watch he videos using Air Video.

6. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

You don't need to join the adhoc with the machine that is hosting the adhoc. I assume the laptop is also connected to it's own wired Internet source? You just set up the adhoc and turn on internet connection sharing at the end of the wizard.

7. anirudh thread starter macrumors 6502

the laptop is connected to a wi fi network for internet. But I dont need the internet to run AIR VIDEO do I? The whole purpose of setting up a AD HOC connection is to make the system of the laptop and ipad independent of anything else as far as watching videos on the ipad goes.

I have tried NOT connecting the laptop to the ad hoc network created. In that case, the iPad does not see the laptop as a server sharing any videos.

You said you did create an AD HOC network and watched videos on the iPad from your laptop? Did you do something different?

8. Mirai 11 macrumors 6502

Mirai 11

Was about to start a new thread until i saw this.
    Is there any way of having this work between a Mac that is connected to an external hard drive and an iPad?