Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Milsy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2015
Hi,

Just wondering if there are any others that use Airwatch as part of their corporate mail/calendar on their iPhone, that are having issues with the Watch performance and battery life.

Both myself and my friend both work for the same company (One of the big Oil ones) received our watches on the 24th. :D

We both had major issues with performance and notifications not coming though, to the point of nearly sending the watches back. It was only though not seeing any major problems being reported like ours that we deduced it was maybe Airwatch. We previously had issues with Airwatch on our phones with things like alternative keyboards etc being locked down.

We removed it late on Friday and by Friday evening everything was working perfectly, albeit I no longer had my work email or calendar on my phone.

As an experiment I reloaded Airwatch yesterday and immediately hit problems again with performance, crashes etc. Calendar would not even open.

Left both devices charging overnight and this morning put on the watch and by 2 hours I was down to 60% on both watch and phone with major lag.

Removed Airwatch again and now it's running perfectly with battery life as should be expected.

So it's definitely Airwatch and maybe in particular how it is setup in my company. :confused:

I'm now over the moon with my watch, and now have a better work life balance as I can only check my work mail when at my desk ;)

theadlee

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2009
I use have to use airwatch for company exchange access. Totally kills the battery on the watch and the phone. I also experience random reboots on both devices. When I remove airwatch and the profile, everything works fine.

Is this a problem with the apple watch app or the airwatch? Not seeing this reported in too many other places.

akrimmer

macrumors member
May 14, 2010
I also use Airwatch and have no issues. So I would have to say the issues you are having are due to the profiles being pushed by your corporate policies.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
While it would remove some of the anonymity enjoyed here, maybe you guys should PM each other your contact info and see if you can't get the IT departments of those not having issues to share their setup with the IT departments that are having issues.
At the very least, it would allow you to highlight which parameters are causing issues and report them to air watch, so they could try to remediate the issues in their software.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

theadlee

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2009
I use have to use airwatch for company exchange access. Totally kills the battery on the watch and the phone. I also experience random reboots on both devices. When I remove airwatch and the profile, everything works fine.

Is this a problem with the apple watch app or the airwatch? Not seeing this reported in too many other places.

_SpacemanSpiff_

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2015
I have the same issue (and perhaps in the same big OilCo!). I switched off wifi when in the offices and batt life is a lot better. If the AW is trying to use WIFI on a locked company wifi service, that may have an impact.......

theadlee

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2009
From what I am reading maybe the issues are Airwatch profile specific. Attached are my Airwatch profile settings.

Attachments

• 2015-06-06 08.54.11.png
    2015-06-06 08.54.11.png
    246.8 KB · Views: 604
  • 2015-06-06 08.54.06.png
    2015-06-06 08.54.06.png
    166.3 KB · Views: 470
  • 2015-06-06 08.54.15.png
    2015-06-06 08.54.15.png
    76.7 KB · Views: 423

Milsy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2015

Potentially have a solution to the issue.

This worked for three of us in the same company so hopefully will work as it sounds like the same exact symptoms.

What we did was:

1. Remove Airwatch from the phone
2. Un pair the watch from the phone
3. Pair the watch again to the phone
4. Install Airwatch back on the phone

Once we did this it works perfectly with the corporate mail and calendar. Battery life is now around 40 hours on the watch with moderate use.

For some reason the Airwatch profile freaks out when you pair a watch with it already installed.

Good Luck!!

theadlee

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2009
Potentially have a solution to the issue.

This worked for three of us in the same company so hopefully will work as it sounds like the same exact symptoms.

What we did was:

1. Remove Airwatch from the phone
2. Un pair the watch from the phone
3. Pair the watch again to the phone
4. Install Airwatch back on the phone

Once we did this it works perfectly with the corporate mail and calendar. Battery life is now around 40 hours on the watch with moderate use.

For some reason the Airwatch profile freaks out when you pair a watch with it already installed.

Good Luck!!

Milsy, did you also remove/delete the profile from the phone or did you simply just delete the Airwatch app? Thanks for the tip. Hoping this will fix my issue.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Milsy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2015
Milsy, did you also remove/delete the profile from the phone or did you simply just delete the Airwatch app? Thanks for the tip. Hoping this will fix my issue.

Hi,

Sorry - meant to say we deleted the profile as well. So last step is installing the profile and airwatch from scratch

Cheers

theadlee

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2009
Hi,

Sorry - meant to say we deleted the profile as well. So last step is installing the profile and airwatch from scratch

Cheers

Super frustrating. Still doesn't seem to work for me after doing this. Losing about 10% state of charge per hour.

jdeolivares

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2016
Super frustrating. Still doesn't seem to work for me after doing this. Losing about 10% state of charge per hour.
[doublepost=1451963119,1451962909][/doublepost]I paired my Apple watch to iPhone 5s with Airwatch. Did not notice reduced battery life. But, notifications would somtiems not show up or be delayed by 20 min on my Apple watch. Deleted Airwatch profile. Problem was resolved. Of course now I can't access my company e-mail and calendar. I will try to re install Airwatch as suggested to see if it resolves the notification issue

MartinAT

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2017
I have the exact same issue (without the Apple Watch - I don't own one) on an iPhone 6s+... Battery life went in the toilet as soon as I installed air watch. The battery also became extremely heated as airwatch did something in the background (although it and none of my other apps indicated they were working in background) Airwatch agent and all other apps show very small percentage of use, although the minute I unplug the phone (even if I turn off background refresh and use cellular data) my battery starts to drain 10-20% per hour. If I uninstall airwatch - battery life goes back to less than 5% per hour.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hi,

Cheers

The profile may have been updated by thr local IT or regional IT admins.

Have a check and ask about the heartbeat within Airwatch settings on the sever. To clarify this is how often the airwatch MDM app in iOS (possibly talking to Apple Watch as well) is communicating back to the server. More communication more drain on both devices.

Moreover have them check how often each device is communicatig therein one another. Lastly waht apps ro complications where added or refined after you remove and readd process.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.