AKG perception 220 or 170 for recording acoustic guitar?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by ADAADW, Jul 6, 2010.

1. ADAADW macrumors member

Hey everyone

So I'm having this problem, I'm not to sure which mic would be the best for recording acoustic guitar. I've found both at a good price but I'm not sure which is the beat for recording strictly acoustic guitar. From my understanding the 229(ldc) is able to get a fuller sound but the 170 pencil condensor is more distinct. So I'm just seeing if anyone had experience with these mica or ldc's and pencil condensors.

Thanks!

2. Xavier macrumors 68020

Eh. I'd go with the 220.

Neither mic is really "high end" as they run you about 100-150 depending.

What you need to be more closely focused on is mic location.

I have not tired these mics but I can tell you that there are really two basics to recording acoustic. Good placement and a good player

3. lethalillness macrumors member

I totally agree with Xavier, neither are high end mics. But the most important thing you'll find is mic placement. If you come up with a bigger budget you can opt for something of nicer quality like a TLM102 or C214. Mics that work great on vocals will be great for acoustic guitars as well because vocals and acoustic guitar both have a similar frequency range.

4. ADAADW thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!

OK thanks a lot for the advice, both of you! Ya im mostly doing amateur stuff but i want it to sound somewhat polished and broadcast quality, and of corse im on a budget. What would you guys recommend for a quality mic for acoustic guitar that isn't going to cost an arm and a leg?