Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yashrg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
I just read about this product today and am thinking it is a better option than my Belkin express dock because of the addition of eSata.

http://www.akitio.com/accessories/thunder-dock

Please chime in if you have bought it or are considering it. There are currently no reviews of it on amazon.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I just read about this product today and am thinking it is a better option than my Belkin express dock because of the addition of eSata.

http://www.akitio.com/accessories/thunder-dock

Please chime in if you have bought it or are considering it. There are currently no reviews of it on amazon.

I will say, if it works as advertized the ability to not only do eSATA but with Port Multiplier is really nice. So far the only dock I am aware of that does Port Multiplier is the yet-to-be-released Sonnettech. All other eSATA ports on Thunderbolt are just basic eSATA. I might consider one of these.....

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Looks interesting as well. I purchased the Caldiget dock to get USB 3 on my 2011 iMac, this device is actually more suited to my needs (extra firewire & sata is more useful than the extra sound card & gigabit ethernet for the iMac.)

It is a bit more than the caldiget, but it may be worth it, depending on the reviews.

yashrg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
I will say, if it works as advertized the ability to not only do eSATA but with Port Multiplier is really nice. So far the only dock I am aware of that does Port Multiplier is the yet-to-be-released Sonnettech. All other eSATA ports on Thunderbolt are just basic eSATA. I might consider one of these.....

Can you explain the feature of Port Multiplier to a novice like myself?

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Can you explain the feature of Port Multiplier to a novice like myself?

Basic esata ports allow you to hook up a single hard drive to the single esata port. Some multiple hard drive external enclosures will allow you to out in up to 5 hard drives into if with only one esata port. This will only work if the controller esata port understands port multiplying. All 4-5 drives can then share the bandwith of that one esata port. The Lacie thunderbolt esata device does not recognize port multiplication.

yashrg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
Ah. So if you don't have a dock with port multiplier, esata raid enclosures wouldn't work?

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
So does anybody actually have one of these? How does it compare to the CalDigit dock? I just ordered the CalDigit but am thinking that this may be a better fit for me.

photosmike

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2010
So does anybody actually have one of these? How does it compare to the CalDigit dock? I just ordered the CalDigit but am thinking that this may be a better fit for me.

I bought the Thunder Dock about a month ago. It works as advertised for the features I use. I use eSATA and USB3. Port multiplier does work.

The eSATA setup is:

1) Home made disk array using a collection of hard disks. I get a range of speeds, max 150 mb/sec.

2) Mediasonic HF2- SU352 set up as software RAID' stripped, about 150mb/s

I don't have any knowledge of the CalDigit unit.

I am satisfied with the unit but it was expensive, $249 plus tax.

Mike

Last edited:

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA

I bought the Akito Thunderdock about 2 weeks ago to add eSATA capability to my Mac Mini Server which has Thunderbolt, but only USB 2.0 and Firewire 800. I haven't had a lot of time to spend with it, but it seems to work fine with my eSATA RAID-5 external storage. I haven't used the USB 3.0 capability as yet.

-howard

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Received my CalDigit dock in the mail today. Haven't had a chance to try it out to any degree but I am cloning my SSD to an external bus-powered USB drive right now.

yashrg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
I bought the Thunder Dock about a month ago. It works as advertised for the features I use. I use eSATA and USB3. Port multiplier does work.

The eSATA setup is:

1) Home made disk array using a collection of hard disks. I get a range of speeds, max 150 mb/sec.

2) Mediasonic HF2- SU352 set up as software RAID' stripped, about 150mb/s

I don't have any knowledge of the CalDigit unit.

I am satisfied with the unit but it was expensive, $249 plus tax.

Mike

Thanks for providing input. Although, I need help understanding how your 'home made disk array' is set up. Could you post pics with some explanation?

photosmike

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2010
I attached a parts list. The 5 hard drives were ones I collected over time.

Attachments

• SATA Box.doc
    45.5 KB · Views: 175

photosmike

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2010
If I had a do-over, I would use a pico fan-less power supply.

The fan on the power supply is noisy.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Personally I think the USB and thunderbolt ports should be the other way around. It seems awkward having the thunderbolt on the front, especially if you're going to plug a video adapter into the second port. Other than this it looks pretty nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.