Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

juanm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
I'm afraid I need some help.

I wanted to do transfer a few things between my MacBook Pro and my mother's iMac, which involved copying files from multiple folders on the iMac to the laptop. So in file info for Macintosh HD, I activated "Share folder" and "share all the elements inside" (not sure about the exact terms, as the MacBook is in French and the iMac in Spanish, but you know what I mean). I took some time to make the sharing active, and everything went fine. After that, I shut the computer off, because I needed to move it.

You guess what comes next: it doesn't boot properly anymore.

It does the usual boot chime, then the apple, the turning fan thing under the logo, and after a few minutes, it reboots.

What the f... can I do!?

Right now, I've put in it the Leopard disc, and boy, it's repairing permissions!! Estimated time: 45 minutes!

If it doesn't work, what else can I try?

The most important things on it are mails and documents. The rest is not vital.
I've thought about installing Leopard on an external firewire disk, booting the OS from it, and save as much as possible. Do you think it'd work?

I'm quite new at troubleshooting Macs (hence the "share everything" mistake) so as of now I can only think of these two possible solutions.

Thanks for your help.

juanm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
Nevermind, the permissions repair worked fine, and the iMac is fully recovered.

I love this OS! :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.