Al iMac: Need interface for monitors?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by eMace, Jun 2, 2008.

1. eMace macrumors member

I just got an Al iMac which Apple says has a "Headphone/optical digital audio output." Does this mean I don't need an audio interface to connect monitors to it? If I connect monitors directly to the iMac do I have to worry about my computer blowing up? :D

2. ausdave macrumors member

ausdave

Yes you can plug monitors straight into the iMac line out....

However depending on your needs (and how fussy you are with your audio) you may want to invest in an audio-interface, as the line out is not fantastic as far as quality goes (same as all line outs on every computer I've ever owned).

Are your monitors active or passive?

If they are passive you will need to go iMac --> Amp --> Monitors.

3. eMace thread starter macrumors member

thanks Dave. Actually I haven't bought the monitors yet. I was going to get the KRK RP5s or Mackie MR5s, but seeing as how I'll probably need an interface to get full use of 'em and I've already spent a lot on audio equipment this month, I think I'm just gonna get the cheapy Alesis M1 Active 320s with "built-in interface" and upgrade later.

4. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

The KRK Rokit RP5s are great monitors - I'd recommend them over the Mackies...

As for the interface, I STRONGLY recommend the Alesis Multimix Firewire every time. They do them in 8, 12 and 16 channel models. I have the 16 channel one and it's great - allows you to record each channel individually...

5. eMace thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice! it's a bit pricey for me right now but i'll definitely look into it when I start thinking about upgrades.