Al. MacBook: update coming, or buy now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by snowsquirrel, Jan 11, 2009.

1. snowsquirrel macrumors newbie

I don't see apple changing the price on the macbooks, but I was wondering what the chances of them upgrading the processor in the next month or so? If it will be more than a couple months, I might just buy one today. Just wondering if there are rumours of them updating that line.
    ~S

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Yeah right. They were barely released. They wouldn't release an update so soon. Buy now.

3. snowsquirrel thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks. I noticed in the buyers guide, that it says mid product cycle so I figured I was safe, just wanted to double check, as I have to go through a few hoops* to get it.
    ~S

* purchasing out of province to avoid 8% tax.

4. isethx macrumors regular

i'd say now. it's going to be months and months before an update

5. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

It's hard to tell. Buy now the new MB just release not that long ago...

6. aethelbert macrumors 601

I've always liked these words; they're quite beautiful, me thinks.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I wouldn't expect an update for awhile, so if you need it, buy it now.

8. dinaluvsApple macrumors regular

op
    this thread is rediculous.
    computers get outdated the moment they come with the latest in tech, something faster and better is already in the works before its released.

buy it now if you want one.
    even if you buy it after an update there will be another one, and another one.

you will never have the best, something better will always be out there.
    unless you're a mac addict with a huge wallet your gonna let yourself down by waiting to get the best because its just not an achievable goal in electronics.

im speaking from experience, ive built like 9 gamings rigs in the past 5 years trying my hardest to stay ahead but it never works, but i have fun and thats alll it matters.

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

[QUOTE="Weird Al" Yankovic in the song It's All About The Pentiums]My new computer's got the clocks, it rocks, but it was obsolete before I opened the box! You say you've had your desktop for over a week? (uh, huh) Throw that junk away, man, it's an antique! Your laptop is a month old? (yeah) Well, that's great... if you could use a nice, heavy paperweight...[/QUOTE]

Tech changes. They even knew this in 1999 when this song was written. Buy now and be happy.

10. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

If it were me, (I bought mine the week it was introduced) I would wait a few weeks to see.

I know waiting may seem crazy, but Intel just introduced new quad core chips... and Apple needs to update more frequently in this market. It needs to identify that allowing its computers to become outdated, like it has in the past, will not work in this economy. It will have to do everything in its power to keep the MacBook line current.

I am waiting on a new MBA. I know it had changes in October, but I expect that there will be an update soon. It did not get the glass display, buttonless glass trackpad, when the MB and MBP did.

So, I really think Apple MAY shock us all by introducing a quad core update in all of the MBs and MBPs sooner rather than later. Giving further incentive to have customers buy them.

And, since the desktops are due for updates really soon, I think I would wait two weeks to see if maybe there is a press release for the majority of the Macs on the market.

And I think the MBA needs a 2 GHz CPU, 4 GB RAM, and 256 GB SSD option just seen in the new 17" MBP. With all of the things available, especially the matte display in the new 17" MBP, I would not be surprised for an entire new set of BTO option list available for the 15" MBPs like the 17" and the MBs and MBAs to have updated BTO options also.

It just makes sense. Then again, Apple could blow it like it has with the Mac Mini. It could be six months or MORE before the MB (complete lineup MB, MBA, MBP) is updated and we could all be waiting for nothing!

11. svndmvn Guest

MBAs will be updated once a year. Its processor already has some features that put it ahead of MBs and some MBPs, I'm referring to the Cache. It's also supposed to have a better energy managing CPU.
    Apple won't give you mobile quad-core chips a year before Intel even builds them, so don't count on that.
    Macbooks usually get updated twice a year, quad-core chips will probably be available in a year from now, for the MBP first, I guess. So, I doubt we'll have to wait that long for Macbooks to be updated. A slight .133GHz boost could be given soon, same could go for the Memory and Storage, somehow, maybe some other updates, who know. Anyway, somewhere between now and October. You could be talking about a second update around then. When the school promotion starts I'm pretty sure Apple's best selling (consumer) laptop will be updated.

12. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

My recommendation is to buy now! satisfy yourself and be happy with it ;) hard to beat that feeling of new apple goodness.

HOWEVER, my gut says that there just might be an update in Spring..you never know with Apple. Because if they don't update it then, the next time looks to be October again after the back to school promotion.

13. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Well, I read right here on MacRumors about the quad core chips being released by Intel this month. Supposedly for iMac and maybe Mac Mini. I still think that everything I said in the post is true. Apple MUST keep its product line MORE current than has in the past. It gets to be ridiculous when paying same price six months later for same hardware seriously outdated. It is just NOT going to fly in this economy. If people have any reason not to buy, they will not buy! I think because of the recent 256 GB SSD and anti-glare options for the 17" MBP, we could all be shocked that Apple would offer more BTO options for the 15" MBP, and why not change whole lineup???

I agree, Apple will probably disappoint us, as they always seem to when it comes to updating much later than they should... but I am hopeful that the economy inspires them to yearn to keep sales up, and they only way to do that is to stay current. Read today that analysts are predicting an EARLY iPhone update just to keep sales up. People are not happy paying same price for iPhone that was offered at a year ago when every other phone is fully subsidized and outdated within six months!

So, let's see what Apple does, maybe critical failure and maybe not. With that much cash, they can afford to make mistakes in the short run, but not what may cost them market share in the long run for iPhones, iPod Touch, and Macs. Prior mistakes cannot be made in this market. The iPhone is doing so well, why let the ability to seize the day pass by not updating products in a timely manner. Look at the Mac Mini, people are paying the same price for hardware that is a 1.5 yrs old! Just not good business! It is in an economy like this that failures are multiplied exponentially. I hope Apple can adjust and keep investors, and customers happy.

14. the Western zoo macrumors 6502

the Western zoo

15. svndmvn Guest

I'm not attacking you, I just want you to understand a few things I'm kinda positive about so you don't, as you say, feel to disappointed when what you hope for doesn't happen.
    What you read on macrumors is most of the times just that, rumors. If someone says there are mobile quad core chips from Intel, ask for a link, all I read about it claims a late 2009 availability of the chips and 2010 Macbook Pros with them, probably, if not later.
    This thread is about aluminum macbooks and it is pretty safe to say the white one will die in 2009 and since Apple usually updates macbooks every 6 months, I repeat, they will probably update them in Spring and not wait for quad-cores, that would be crazy.
    iMacs have mobile chips, same goes for Mac Minis, they're both waiting to be updated and if it happens soon, they won't have quad-cores, pretty simple.
    As you were saying, people are paying money for 1.5 year old specs, that's the thing, Apple is here to make money, since people give them money, they don't care what specs people pay for.
    iPhone, have you read many threads about it being outdated? A lot of macrumors members are still holding on to the original 2 year old, almost, iPhone. Why? Couldn't they make enough money selling it? I doubt it.
    If you trust every rumor, like the iPhone nano, tablets, netbooks, quad-cores, of course Apple will disappoint you more and more.
    You are expecting quad-cores and bigger SSDs in the macbook air? Good luck, you know its SSDs dimensions aren't the same as the New 17" Pros options, right? Same goes for the processor. They had a small custom built a year ago for the original MBA. The MBA is to be compared to ultraportables and find me a quad-core MBA competitor and we'll call it outdated then.
    Anyway, the Macbook is a consumer product, being the best sold Apple product or something close, so yes, since it's been about 3 months since its update, waiting other 3 months could save you a couple hundred $$.

16. aedraste macrumors member

I agree with most in this thread, on both sides of the issue. But, I think you need to ask yourself for what exactly you'll be using your MacBook. If you'd just like to have a notebook for basic gaming, graphic or audio production, and internet usage, depending on the exact software you'll be using, the potential updates to the MacBook line over the next year will likely have little benefit to you. You might save a little money, but the money you save is essentially paying for the time you're -without- a MacBook today.

I find it very unlikely that Apple will introduce the quad-core processors to the MacBook line anytime in 2009. Everyone seems to be mentioning that in this economy, people will look for any reason -not- to buy something, and while I agree, there's no way Apple could introduce quad-core processors without inflating the price immensely, beyond their target demographic. Increasing RAM is unnecessary and not going to attract anyone to the line.

Even though Apple just rolled out their new MacBook Pros, I wouldn't be surprised if they made further updates to the MBP line before the MB line, even.

17. Moriarty macrumors 6502

That's what I thought when I bought my Late '07 Macbook in early February after being updated on November 1st. 3 weeks later they were updated. Admittedly, this update was forced by Intel as they were phasing out old processors.

The only time you're truly safe is when they were just updated a week ago. If you don't need a new computer, you just want one, it's best to wait until:
    a) You do actually need one
    b) Apple has just updated the machines a bit more recently than 3 months ago.

18. ruku macrumors member

What makes you think that these processors will cost anymore than the average upgraded ones? Apple often use processors which are scalable in price. Thats what they will do when the quad cores are eventually introduced.

19. aedraste macrumors member

Perhaps I should have been clearer. I don't think it's possible Apple could feasibly introduce quad-cores within the next year without inflating the price. Quad-cores are not yet the industry standard, and until they become the industry standard, Intel is going to charge a pretty penny for them.

20. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

I would buy soon, not because they were just updated (3 months can be a long time in tech) but because nothing major is happening soon. I don't see apple doing anything noteworthy until Nehalem is ready to roll, which could be awhile.

Maybe wait just until iLife 09 is shipping, so you get it for free.

21. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

You know, I read right here on the front page of Mac Rumors that Intel had announced it is releasing five new low-cost quad core processors this month!

Apple, usually is really good about adopting new chips from Intel. In addition, the WHOLE POINT of Snow Leopard is to take advantage of MULTIPLE cores. So, don't think with even 50% certainty that Apple will not update. They will probably disappoint, but with Snow Leopard coming out soon, maybe they will amaze us.

I definitely think we will see updates much sooner than anyone thinks this time around. Along with the desktops, Apple will have to keep its Macs refreshed to keep sales in-line with expectations. If Apple/Mac fans ever had a chance at much quicker turnaround in updates it's in this economy!

Not going to be as easy for Apple. They will have to do much better than their track record. I really think Mac fans will be happy this year. Lots of BTO options on the MBP like Anti-Glare displays, larger SSD and etc to keep sales up. And much more frequent updates to all Macs.

I think desktops very soon, and notebooks much sooner than anyone would think based on Apple's history!

22. svndmvn Guest

I don't think Apple will start using desktop quad-core chips in their portables (or iMacs, mac minis), so link us the mobile quad-cores being built..all this doesn't mean Apple will wait a year for an update, there will be speed bumps and other stuff but not quad-cores, just yet.