Al PowerBook 15": difference between 1 GB and 1.5 GB RAM

Argelius

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2005
I am getting ready to purchase more RAM for my brand, spanking new PowerBook 15".

What's the practical difference between adding 512 (for a total of 1 GB) and 1G (for a total of 1.5 GB)?.

Other than digital photo editing, word processing, surfing, etc. I won't be doing anything hugely graphics intensive. (No games, movie-making, or powering large external monitors).

I'm guessing 1 GB Ram would be plenty. But should I justt go buy a 1GB chip now?

thehuncamunca

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2003
NJ
1GB is fine for you-you might not even see that much of a difference between 512mb and 1gb given what you do

save the money and buy something else-maybe a bluetooth mouse or a pair of speakers or something
Argelius said:
I am getting ready to purchase more RAM for my brand, spanking new PowerBook 15".

What's the practical difference between adding 512 (for a total of 1 GB) and 1G (for a total of 1.5 GB)?.

Other than digital photo editing, word processing, surfing, etc. I won't be doing anything hugely graphics intensive. (No games, movie-making, or powering large external monitors).

I'm guessing 1 GB Ram would be plenty. But should I justt go buy a 1GB chip now?

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
YYYYYYYYYYY??????

Argelius said:

Why on earth did you even bother to buy a powerbook if this is all you plan on doing a stock ibook 14inch would have served you fine at half the price :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Tamer Brad

macrumors regular
May 13, 2005
AP_piano295 said:
Why on earth did you even bother to buy a powerbook if this is all you plan on doing a stock ibook 14inch would have served you fine at half the price :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Because it's sexy and more future proof, probably. Those would be my reasons.

SRSound

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2005
on this same topic, would I see a considerable difference between 1.25GB and 2GB RAM in a PB? (That would be in a 12" vs. 15" both with maxed out ram)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
SRSound said:
on this same topic, would I see a considerable difference between 1.25GB and 2GB RAM in a PB? (That would be in a 12" vs. 15" both with maxed out ram)

Depends what you wanna do with the PowerBook. For most users, the answer would be a pretty resounding no. :)

itsbetteronamac

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2003
well.... I would definatly put at least 1gb in new powerbook. I used to have a mac running the same stuff with 512, and you can definatly tell the difference. But, unless you are working with HUGE files or are a intensive photoshoper... the difference between 1gb and 1.5gb is very slight.

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
I decided to go for 1.5 gb RAM in more powerbook with an eye towards the future. My last powerbook (667mhz titanium) had 512MB which seemed a lot at the time, but it was pants running Tiger with all the widgets and stuff.
I just figure if you want the powerbook to last you for a while give it some extra RAM. 1GB is nice, but I'd say go for 1.5 if you can afford it!

kbonnel

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2004
In a nice place..
I have 1.5GB on my powerbook, and I notice tiger likes to use more of it than Panther did. But it is unix, so most of it is in cache and the such. I think 1GB sticks would be better future proof than 512 sticks, that is another way of looking at it.

Kimo