Alan Colmes passed away

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by GrumpyMom, Feb 23, 2017.

1. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

I will link to the Fox site since he worked there: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/02/23/remembering-alan-colmes-liberal-who-could-laugh.html

I was a conservative when I started watching Hannity and Colmes. I went to center and eventually to the point where I'm more liberal than not. Through it all, I enjoyed watching the exchange of viewpoints and balance Alan Colmes provided to Sean Hannity. When Alan Colmes left the show I stopped watching the show and tv in general, as meaningful discourse, polite and otherwise, went out of fashion and Hannity by himself could not present his views in a way that allowed for balance and question.

I dont ever agree completely with any one side. I admire respectful debate, which more often than not, Alan Colmes attempted to provide as much as any human being can. He wasn't perfect, but he was by all accounts a kind man. RIP and respects to his friends and loved ones.

May whatever illness that claimed his life get a cure soon.

2. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I also enjoyed the Hannity and Colmes show. Like you, I also thought that both of them were not nearly as good on their own (Hannity went way right and Colmes went way left). There were lots of comments from all the people who worked with Colmes over the years and they all were very positive.

Looking at the net, the unofficial cause of death was Lymphoma cancer. In January, it was announced he was taking some time off for medical reasons and a month later he died (very quickly).

3. GrumpyMom thread starter macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

Oh goodness. My mother-in-law went into remission from Lymphoma. The disease seemed to come out of nowhere so fast but her chemo went well and she looked so strong throughout we almost forget she ever had it and almost take her remission for granted. She herself never mentions it. I won't ever take her recovery for granted anymore. There's just been so much cancer in our family we all are a bit dazed. We survive and move on. My dad has overcome so many kinds of cancers it's crazy. I'm so sad Alan did not win his battle.

I always cherished the hope Hannity and Colmes would reunite one more time and give it another go at their successful formula and chemistry. But I could see that they went too far to extremes to ever manage to work together again. I could see Colmes was ready to move on from the partnership when he did. I'm glad that apparently they were at least able to maintain a friendship.

4. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I'm no expert but, from what I read, Lymphoma is a treatable cancer. Since it affects the immune system, he might have caught something else (pneumonia etc.) that killed him.

5. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

I nearly never agreed with Mr. Colmes (back when). However, between him and Hannity, Colmes was far more respectful and patient. Sadly, this led to him being more of Hannity's punching bag. I'll consider of what I have seen and known of Mr. Colmes, he was a decent guy whose views I just happened to disagree with.

RIP Mr. Colmes