Alarm after RAM change

Discussion in 'iMac' started by godette, Oct 24, 2013.

1. godette macrumors member

Hi everyone

I recently changed the RAM on my early 2009 iMac but I can't figure out what I've done wrong because now when I turn my computer on, the loud beeping alarm sounds. The company I bought the RAM from has guaranteed me that they should work and they're at a loss as to why it won't.
    I thought I followed all the instructions - but I did notice that the RAM sticks didn't 'click' when I inserted them. Are they meant to kind of 'click' into place? Could that be the problem?
    And if that isn't the problem does anyone have any ideas what I could be doing wrong or how to fix this issue?
    Please heeeeelp. Thank you!

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

It's not uncommon to have a bad ram stick.
    get the mfgr to replace it and see if it works.

3. godette thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, but the problem is I live in Australia and the RAM is getting sent from the US and the retailer refuses to compensate me for postage even though they had guaranteed compatability. I might just bring my Mac to the shop and cough up the price of getting an expert fit it. Or I'll try another retailer. Not happy.:(:(

4. richard13 macrumors 6502a

Most sockets that accept RAM modules do click.

Have you tried taking the RAM out and reseating it? I would at least try that before doing anything else.

5. godette thread starter macrumors member

I've done that once, and still get the alarm, but I'll try again to get the sticks to click into place. Gosh I hope it's as simple as that cos the retailers swear blind they've sold me the right part

6. godette thread starter macrumors member

Eureka!!! I inserted the sticks again and this time I pressed firmly once in the middle and twice along the left and right and felt a definite locking into place. Everything works fine now. Thanks everyone for all your help. Looking forward to a souped-up iMac now that I have 8GB of RAM. Really hope it speeds things up on my trusty machine, which used to have just 4GB of RAM

Thank youuuuu

7. Jambalaya macrumors 6502a

Glad it's sorted, other suggestion would have been to out original ram back to check if that worked, if not them you know it's your installation technique.

FYI I updated my 2009 Mini from 2 to 8 and it was transformed

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

glad you got it sorted out. it can be difficult to seat the ram modules, especially when one worries about having the wrong sticks and possibly damaging the ram socket.

9. richard13 macrumors 6502a

Awesome! I'm glad you got it worked out and don't have to fight your memory vendor over a refund. ;)