Alarm clock App

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AppleDApp, Oct 25, 2012.

1. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

My my Stereo broke and I'd like to use my mac as an alarm clock.

I want to be able to play the music that is in iTunes. Does anyone know of such a free app?

2. Benjamin, macrumors member

Benjamin,

3. flynz4 macrumors 68040

This is totally off topic... but I have to say it anyway.

Sleep Cycle is an iPhone app... that has to be the most humane way of waking up. The best $0.99 app that Ive bought.

You put the iphone under your sheet... and the accelerometers measure your sleep cycles... and determine when you are in REM.

Then... it will pick a [default] 30 min window to wake you up... but it will try to not wake you while you are in REM. So for example... if you set it for 7:00... it will wake you between 6:30 and 7:00 depending upon where you are in your sleep cycle... trying to wake you at the ideal time so that you do not feel crappy.

The sounds are all very soothing... and you can also choose your own music. You "snooze" by just tapping on the phone through the sheet. The snooze time is [default] variable so the closer you get to your specified wake-up time... the shorter the snooze time. Once you reach your wake up time... it will not snooze anymore.. and the sound gently gets louder. Finally... the vibration function will start and it will continue till you get out of bed, remove the phone, and shut off the app.

Then... it gives you all kinds of graphs and charts showing the quality of your sleep for the night... plus history of your sleep patterns.

Seriously... it is the most painless way to wake up in the morning.

/Jim (someone who fights going to bed... and fights waking up)

4. TomCat macrumors member

I've been using Alarm Clock for years.

It uses any iTunes playlist, shuffles, has very granular settings for start volume, end volume, (it gradually ramps the volume to avoid an alarm blast) and ramp time, IT'S FREE, and it responds to the Apple Front Row remote bundled with my 2006 Mac Mini (if you want to snooze the alarm). You can set any amount of alarms and tailor them for different days of the week. Actually, I can't think of a feature it does not have, other than it does not make coffee.

5. AppleDApp thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

I briefly tried alarm clock but couldn't get it to play from iTunes also the playlist that appeared in the menu were the stock playlists. None of the playlist that I made are available.

6. Kanunu macrumors 6502

Same experience

I have the same experience. It is fine if you use the stock alarm but it wants to play the first tune on what it says is my iTunes library and does not see about half of my playlists. I sent the developer an email but got no response. Maybe its just a way to get you to upgrade to the paid version but if it is I don't think it will work with me.