Alarm clock for Mac that starts a shut down mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ratboy90, Oct 18, 2011.

1. ratboy90 macrumors 6502

ratboy90

I'm looking for an alarm clock app that starts my computer when it's shut down. I know awaken does this but for some reason I can't get awaken to work properly.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No such app exists. An app can't turn on a shut down Mac because when it's shut down, nothing is running.... not even the OS. To turn on a Mac, you have to physically press the power button.

3. simsaladimbamba

You can look into this, which only awakes your Mac from sleep, or you could look into System Preferences > Energy Saver > Schedule....

4. ratboy90 thread starter macrumors 6502

ratboy90

but doesn't awaken's awaken helper app do just that?

5. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

In energy settings click 'schedules' you can tell it when to start up and shut down for any day of the week.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I must be missing something. I just tested that scheduling. It successfully put my MBP to sleep on schedule (actually, with a 10-minute delay), then woke it up successfully 5 minutes later. When I tried it with shut down/power on, it successfully shut it down (again with a 10-minute delay), but it did not power it on.

7. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Mine powers on and shuts down without a problem or delay. When I had my Mac in the attic and needed it on to stream for my ATV I got sick of having to go up and down all the stairs just to turn it on so had it turn on and off by itself at the appropriate times. I then used the VNC app on my iPhone to use the computer if need be from way downstairs. Im lazy like that! :)

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Restarting worked fine on a mini running SL, but not on the MBP running Leopard. On both systems, whether I choose sleep or shut down, this is what I get at the scheduled time:
    ScreenCap 8.png

9. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Maybe its because its a notebook?

It will need some residual power to maintain the timer. If it flattens the battery then it wont startup rendering it pointless?! Maybe it can only 'sleep'.

Not sure really. Never tried it on my MacBooks. Strange one though.

I dont recall it taking 10 minutes though. I did get a message obviously but I'm quite certain it wasnt 10 minutes although it was a year or so ago when I last did it and maybe something has changed since then.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It won't restart the MBP, whether on AC power or on a full battery.

11. alansmallen macrumors 6502a

Someone mentioned it upstairs, but Awaken (downloadable on the App store) will do exactly what you want it to do with the installation of a small little helper that is constantly running. I haven't had much luck with the helper working on Lion but they might've fixed that.

http://embraceware.com/awaken/

alan

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you read the thread? That's already been discussed.

13. alansmallen macrumors 6502a

He wasn't sure, I'm just clarify.

14. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I'm on Leopard at work I'll try it and see what happens. :D Then I'll try it on Lion at home a little later and report back for that one. At work I'm on a MacPro and at home I'll try it on my iMac and MBP.

EDIT: On Leopard on the MacPro the message says it will 'SHUT DOWN' in 10 minutes'.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Thanks! I tried it on both systems using both sleep and shut down, and using both AC and battery (for the MBP). I'm interested to know your results.

16. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

MacPro duly shuts down and restarts when told (not sleep and wake).

I realised I have a MacMini next to me too so I may as well do the whole Apple lineup lol. That too shuts down and restarts.

I'll let you know about the MBP and iMac.

17. Wondercow macrumors 6502a

It's a little pricey just to use as an alarm clock but you can look into Power Manager. Also Aurora, Alarm Clock Pro, or iTuneSleep. Google is you friend.

Lastly, as others have said, you could just use the built-in scheduling and have the Mac play a sound file on startup.

This has been possible since System 7.1—way back in 1992 :D

18. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Both MBP and iMac startup and shut down too without problems.