Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keatth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 24, 2013
ever since I updated I noticed my alarm clock does not always go off. Sometimes it will but sometimes I'll wake up and it will show the snooze button like it went off but I know it didn't cuz I would have woke up I never once slept through the iPhone alarm. I'm now using a 3rd party alarm clock. Anyone else experiencing this?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
ever since I updated I noticed my alarm clock does not always go off. Sometimes it will but sometimes I'll wake up and it will show the snooze button like it went off but I know it didn't cuz I would have woke up I never once slept through the iPhone alarm. I'm now using a 3rd party alarm clock. Anyone else experiencing this?
This was reported in another thread. Don't know if there was a resolution. Personally I'm not having issues with the alarm.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I had this happen to me once with 8.4. My alarm went off for a split second and I woke up but it stopped. When I looked at my phone it said Swipe to Snooze or whatever it says but it was completely silent. I've used it twice since without an issue.

Seems silly but I've been setting my iPad alarm to go off 1 minute after my iPhone in hopes that both dont fail. Neither have failed since that first time.

If it does it again I'll make a video showing the issue or at least its saying its alarming but silent and send it to Apple in feedback notes.

If you are worried about it and only really have an iPhone as an alarm clock (thats all I have aside from my iPad) you can download a 3rd party app. I recommend "Sleep Cycle" which is a cool app that wakes you up when you arent in REM and is compatiable with HealthKit.

keatth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 24, 2013
I'm using an app called Brrr which can wake you up with vibration only which is cool

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Well that didnt take long...

Excuse my voice I sound like a goof, I literally just woke up when I recorded that.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Same issue here! Is there a fix other than reinstalling the iOS?

Don't go to sleep.
Use another device/alarm clock.
Gamble on the iPhone waking you up and if it doesn't then hey, that's a day off work to lounge around.:D

Reactions: cynics

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
I've not had any issues, but also do not enable the snooze option. Could it be related?

EdgardasB

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2014
Lithuania
Well that didnt take long...

Excuse my voice I sound like a goof, I literally just woke up when I recorded that.
Maybe you have selected sound which was removed after syncing? Try using another ringtone. I have been using alarm every morning and so far no issues.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Maybe you have selected sound which was removed after syncing? Try using another ringtone. I have been using alarm every morning and so far no issues.

Its a default sound and the alarm works at this point 9 out of 10 times.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I've not had any issues, but also do not enable the snooze option. Could it be related?

I'll disable it to try it out. I don't use snooze anyway. The issue doesn't happen all the time so it will take a while to find out.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
WTF?!? Twice this week alarm with no sound :eek:
Have my Edge as my backup. I'll say had. iPhone is now the backup o_O
I'm going to play around with the settings and see what I find. Intermittent bugs are a pita :cool:

Frontstreet04

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2015
Same here, first time last Friday and failed yesterday and today also. Very annoying, last week I overslept for the first time in my life. Time to do something about it apple!

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
This has happened a few times already (about 5 times since the release of 8.4), latest being this morning. Last thing I was doing with the iphone was play podcasts through the speaker... I will test to see if this is the cause.

Can anyone else share what they were doing with their phone too? Perhaps we can narrow down the cause.

Last edited:

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
This has happened a few times to me a few times already (about 5 times since the release of 8.4), latest being this morning. Last thing I was doing with the iphone was play podcasts through the speaker... I will test to see if this is the cause.

Can anyone else share what they were doing with their phone too? Perhaps we can narrow down the cause.

This just happened to me this morning. Last thing I was doing was watching YouTube videos! Interesting. I wonder if media apps leave the sound subsystem in an odd state keeping the alarm from going off.

This makes me sad because now I have to go buy an old school bedside alarm clock. When it comes to alarms, even ONE failure makes it completely useless. I was lucky some driver outside decided to blow his horn at who knows what and that woke me up so was only two minutes late for work.

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
This just happened to me this morning. Last thing I was doing was watching YouTube videos! Interesting. I wonder if media apps leave the sound subsystem in an odd state keeping the alarm from going off.

interesting. Could be it. In any case, according to Apple, this issue may have already been resolved already in iOS 9. I reported it in a bug report and that is the response I got. I won't install beta software to confirm.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
interesting. Could be it. In any case, according to Apple, this issue may have already been resolved already in iOS 9. I reported it in a bug report and that is the response I got. I won't install beta software to confirm.
That would be great.

Hmm, I have iOS 9 beta on my iPad. I think I'll set a backup alarm there. :) Thanks for the report!

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I'm on 8.4 and I've not had any such issues with the alarm on my iPhone 6 Plis. I've been using it regularly every week day and the sound has always gone off.

jeff123816

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
This has happened to me twice on a 6 plus. Today, I overslept and was late to work. My phone is updated to the latest iOS. Has anyone come up with a solution yet?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This has happened to me twice on a 6 plus. Today, I overslept and was late to work. My phone is updated to the latest iOS. Has anyone come up with a solution yet?
Seems like the most practical of solutions is to use a backup (or simply another) alarm clock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.