Alarm Clock Tones on Touch 2G

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by pismodude2, Sep 11, 2008.

1. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

On the iPhone, you can use ringtones you have created as alarm clock sounds. Can you do that on the new iPod Touch?

2. theolympix macrumors newbie

Wow

I just found out that my new 32G 2ndgen iPod touch only plays those horrible sounds as alarms!
    Im actually furious and disgusted. I have been wakeing up every morning to music on my ipod for like 8 years and now they want me to wake up up to the faint sound of a dog barking. I just lost the daily use of my iPod for something, its an absolutyl worthless alarm clock.
    Apple uses these weird subtle manipulation techniques that I cant figure out, making better products but removing tiny little things. I guess its just like a little thorn in your side, to keep you more aware of the products, paying more attention, waiting for updates, complaining even (my complaining right now just makes me a more active fanboy). Its always these little things, like the iPod Classic not being able to play the scroll click through only the internal speakers, it can play it during the song or not at all. So all in all you love the device, but keep thinking how it coukd be better, wanting, waiting.

Well all in all I love my new iPod Touch. Except for a few things, so I'll just have to wait. Hey maybe I shoudl buy a nano for an alarm clock!
    LMAO

3. theolympix macrumors newbie

i just posted this on apples support site

am actualy very upset and offended over the lack of abilty to play my songs as an alarm clock. I have been using an iPod with my home speakers to wake up to a playlist every day for the past 7 years. It is my understanding that this function was removed from the iPhone and subsequently the iPod Touch to force all the users who desire and are used to using their iPhones as an alarm clock to buy songs as ringtones to listen to music alarms. This necessitates using the itunes music store and using a credit card, making you a very likely return customer. However iPod touch users cannot buy ringtones, and of course they shouldn't have to. So they are forced to only have access to the annoying, highly inefficient and overly quiet pre-programed iPhone alarms. So this has led to an issue which I guess might never be resolved, as itmight either require rewitting the opperating system to be different from the iPhone or dismanteling the ringtone store.

It appears to me that apple has put unnessicary profiteering so far ahead of its design principle that it actually interfeers with the usability of the device.

I just purchased a 32Gig 2nd Gen iPod Touch, and am going to call apple tomorrow to talk about returning it. The device lacks iPod functionality that has been around since the beginning of the product and is therefore absoltley not a fully functional iPod. Furthermore the appearance of the motivation behind this marketing schema call up serious ethical considerations in my mind, and in a weird way when consumer manipulation is so in your face and the problem is so difficult to circumvent evokes a bed feeling almost like psychological torture, its suplicating and belittleing, almost taunting.

If someone from Apple could please respond in a constructive way, while also not disrespecting my ethical questions.
    And please also dont delete this post, I am only expressing my opinions and how I feel and am fully willing to be convinced otherwise.

4. GottiJr macrumors newbie

Is it missing any features from the Itouch 1G? Thanks

5. angels lust macrumors member

These aren't the official Apple forums so I don't think you need to worry about any of that.

6. theolympix macrumors newbie

yea

i know, i was just showing what i posted on there. What do you guys think?
    or at least what do you think about the alarm sounds? Horrible right?

7. angels lust macrumors member

It is, I never use the feature but it sucks that it's gone now. I mentioned this in another thread but it's like Apple purposely gimps everything they make in order to get people to buy the next version. I mean, that's the only reasonable explanation isn't it?

8. theolympix macrumors newbie

yea sucks

Obviously it's not a feature that everyone is going to use. However it is still a major feature! The original iPod had only a few features, music, contacts, notes, games, and clock. By reducing the usability to next to nothin, the function does operate, but not well and not efficiently, and certainly not loud enough to wake most deep seepers up.
    But the thing that really gets me is even if not everyone uses it, those who do use it every day! Not every day I find time to even use it as a portable music player, and even though it its primary use, a portable music player does not imply everyday use, an alarm clock does.
    The usability of this device is highly impaired and clearly becoming worse.
    Furthermore, it seems to be on purpose and in an effort for indescriminant profiteering. We all know why they did this, as my old post explains. So buy the device or not, but at least now we have a clearer picture of Apples ethical motivations.

9. iTouch1987 macrumors member

lol at people getting mad at the touch 2g alarm feature.

it's an iPod, not an alarm clock.

10. angels lust macrumors member

What's wrong with having more features? Is that the only line of defense people have around here? Just because you don't see a need for it doesn't mean others don't.

Maybe somebody someday will make an app for it. I wouldn't count on Apple for it.

11. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

2G touch use iphone sound for alarm sound. it is interesting. I just found out last night. some of them are maybe new.

12. phillipe macrumors newbie

Hi -- I'm wondering about the volume of the Ipod Touch alarm and haven't been able to find any info anywhere. Is it adjustable? I need to wake up in situations where I won't be disturbing other people in the room, so I'd like to have the volume set low, if possible.

Thanks a lot.