Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Piotrch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
Is anyone having an idea how to gat an alarm on the iPhone when the phone is switched off? Or is any App being able to do that?

jacollins

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
When you say "Switched off", do you mean powered down or sleeping? They mean 2 different things.

1) If the phone is completely powered down, duh, no, there's no way to get the alarm. It's off.

2) If the phone is sleeping (ie. you pressed the button at the top to turn off the screen), yes. Use the alarm function of the clock app. It'll go off at the desired time. However, I believe if the phone is in vibrate mode, you won't get the tones, just the buzzing (which may be an issue if you are a deep sleeper).

Piotrch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
When you say "Switched off", do you mean powered down or sleeping? They mean 2 different things.

1) If the phone is completely powered down, duh, no, there's no way to get the alarm. It's off.

2) If the phone is sleeping (ie. you pressed the button at the top to turn off the screen), yes. Use the alarm function of the clock app. It'll go off at the desired time. However, I believe if the phone is in vibrate mode, you won't get the tones, just the buzzing (which may be an issue if you are a deep sleeper).

Thanks, I meant powered down. It what I thought but I hoped that I was just dumb... And no apps to go around that?They should develop one: most of the simple phones are able to do that...

seifer333

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2010
a minor complain, but all other phones I've used (SE, Nokia) can still use the alarm function when the phone is switched off. Just like most laptops even if you take out the main battery, there is a small internal battery that keep all the computer information.

I found this a little bit hard to believe apple would not implement this.

Piotrch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
a minor complain, but all other phones I've used (SE, Nokia) can still use the alarm function when the phone is switched off. Just like most laptops even if you take out the main battery, there is a small internal battery that keep all the computer information.

Agreed...¨

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK

I agree with this.

OP if you're worried about battery life during the night just put your phone into aeroplane mode and turn off wifi. You'll basically use nothing overnight, and you also won't be disturbed by anyone calling or texting you.

Piotrch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
I agree with this.

OP if you're worried about battery life during the night just put your phone into aeroplane mode and turn off wifi. You'll basically use nothing overnight, and you also won't be disturbed by anyone calling or texting you.

Good point... And the time you need to do that, you have to get up, almost...

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX

Inaccurate.

If the phone is in vibrate mode and the alarm goes off, it will vibrate AND still play the sound.

Bandolier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010

You clearly don't know how disk drives work.

jacollins

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Thanks, I meant powered down. It what I thought but I hoped that I was just dumb... And no apps to go around that?They should develop one: most of the simple phones are able to do that...

If it is off, how is the app supposed to work? I also find it hard to believe other phones will have an alarm go off when they are physically shut down. If the alarm's going off, they're not entirely shut down, they're in sleep mode.

jacollins

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
I agree with this.

I use 1% of my battery leaving it on overnight. I don't think that it really is an issue. The main issue for me would be the people calling/texting.

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
If it is off, how is the app supposed to work? I also find it hard to believe other phones will have an alarm go off when they are physically shut down. If the alarm's going off, they're not entirely shut down, they're in sleep mode.

again, inaccurate.

i had a samsung 5600 flip back in the day that, when turned completely off, would turn on when the alarm was scheduled to go off.

jacollins

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
again, inaccurate.

i had a samsung 5600 flip back in the day that, when turned completely off, would turn on when the alarm was scheduled to go off.

We're talking a straightforward definition here. 1) If it is completely off, it's not running anything. 2) If it's running something, it's not completely off. If there's some functionality to wake up/turn on the phone after X time, it's not completely off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.