Alarm Syncing

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by coffeemadmanUK, Jul 28, 2015.

1. coffeemadmanUK macrumors 6502a

coffeemadmanUK

I set an alarm on my Watch using Siri, took my Watch off and went to bed, expecting the alarm to go off on my iPhone in the morning, which it didn't.

Is this supposed to happen or are they two separate alarm systems?

2. Newtons Apple, Jul 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2015

Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

3. coffeemadmanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

coffeemadmanUK

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Not sure about :apple:Watch to iPhone but an alarm set on your (or at least mine) iPhone will also sound on my :apple:Watch. I always set my iPhone as a backup alarm and this morning forgot to cut it off. It went off on my iPhone and my :apple:Watch.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I believe alarms and timers set on the iPhone get mirrored to the Watch, but not vice versa.

6. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

Yes, my iphone alarm definitely activates on the watch. The opposite should absolutely be the case as well, because it doesn't really make sense if it doesn't. Without the aid of the phone's much stronger speaker you might not wake up, and does the alarm even sound at all if the watch isn't on your arm, DnD activated/speaker muted?

That they're separate is just poor product integration by Apple. I've even not seen notifications from messages/mail that came in during the night (DnD on during "sleeping hours") when putting my watch on in the morning. It should buzz when you unlock it to catch your attention to the fact you have stuff waiting. Instead I didn't notice this until later when I fiddled with my phone and saw the alert on the mail/message icon...

Here Apple still needs to do more work to make their products work more smoothly together. Handoffing a message from my iphone to ipad doesn't seem to work for me - I get the handoff symbol on the lock screen and swiping it opens the messages app, but the actual text doesn't copy over. I had to finish typing on my phone's tiny irritating keyboard. Hopefully all this will improve this autumn with next version of firmwares...

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Not sure about all scenarios, but it's supposed to still sound when it's on silence and charging. "Mute does not silence alarms and timers when Apple Watch is charging."

8. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I was rather shocked that an alarm set by Siri on my Watch was not sent to my iPhone.

I can have Siri set a calendar event from the watch and it DOES get moved to the iPhone.

Does not really effect me that much as I usually have both devices with me at all times but I know some do not.

9. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

You probably wouldn't hear it (when asleep) if it is charging in another room though... My iPhone makes a hell of a racket when the alarm goes off however (I just can't sleep through it even if the phone isn't in my bedroom), so it would be much preferrable if the watch would transfer its alarms there as well.

10. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

I really don't know the reason why Apple decided both alarms works separately.

However, it really gives me some extra flexibility.

Since the alarm on watch can work in silent mode (vibration only), and the phone's alarm always ring loud. So if I want an alarm that won't alert anybody except myself. I will use the watch's alarm.

And if I don't mind it go loud (or I want it go loud), then I use the phone's alarm.