Alarm - turning off too easy

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Fluttershy, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Fluttershy macrumors regular

Fluttershy

Is anyone finding that switching an alarm off when it goes off in the morning is waaay to easy?

I've been missing them as the quick slide to stop is so easily done when asleep?

2. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

Nope. It's the same way you've turned it off before, just now it's the entire screen. I sometimes will add a few minutes to my alarm and it has gone off every time so far in beta 4 and beta 5 for me. No complaints about it being too easy, I'd prefer it to be as easy as possible to turn off the alarm.

3. brentc133 macrumors newbie

I agree, the easier to turn off the better. If you find it too easy, use the snooze function.

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

5. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

This has happened to me once already, and never happened on any other version of iOS, so I'll say yes. Besides, I hate that the entire lockscreen slides. It's legit stupid.

6. VTECaddict macrumors 6502

Agreed. WAY too easy. Snoozing is way too easy too (tap anywhere on the screen).

I suppose the above posters pop right out of bed wide awake at the slightest peep from their alarm and have never unconsciously turned off the alarm and overslept before.

I'd actually want it so the alarm doesn't turn off until you swipe AND enter your passcode.

7. AnotherBrian macrumors regular

Disagree, works perfect, I set my alarm for the time to get up. Why lay around half awake, sleep sound till it's time to get up.

8. Fluttershy thread starter macrumors regular

Fluttershy

THIS.

Right now I am not even concious that I turn off my alarms - I have around 3 set for the morning.

I even have a dog bark one that is supposed to set off my dog (who sleeps in my room) off barking, but I turn it off quicker than she can react.

I guess the next step is increasing the geography between my phone and I.

9. Ann P macrumors 68020

10. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

Should be slide to stop alarm and double tap to snooze...

11. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Come on guys, a little willpower to wake up would be nice. Don't blame the alarm because it's too easy to turn off or snooze. :p

I wake up to the alarm every morning. Transitioned from iOS 6 to 7 with no issue. In fact, I'm happy the alarm is easier to turn off on iOS 7.

12. Parise macrumors 6502a

Parise

How about..... we give the user the option to require their passcode to turn the alarm off?

Genius, I know.

13. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Brilliant. Would suck if you enter the pin wrong 3 times because you're sleepy haha.:D

14. VTECaddict macrumors 6502

Oh, my bad. Let me reprogram my body's circadian rhythm and rewire my brain so that I become a morning person because Apple thinks I should be with iOS 7.

----------

That would be better. The phone will be "locked" for a minute with the alarm blaring thereby (hopefully) forcing you to wake up. Of course, your family or roommates will hate you.

15. jon3543 macrumors 6502

Absolutely. Several times now, I've messed up trying to hit Snooze and turned the alarm off by accidentally swiping. The tiny Snooze target is as hard to hit as it always has been, and the new swipe-anywhere behavior to cancel the alarm sets me up to fail. I never did this even once before iOS 7. Off to Apple feedback.

16. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

17. musicjunky macrumors regular

This happened to me today. I thought I had snooze on but instead overslept by 30 minutes.:(

18. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

put the phone 10 feet away. Problem solved.

19. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

why not download one of the hundreds of other alarm apps in the app store then until you find one that suits your needs??

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

That's kind of more along the lines of working around the technology, rather than having the technology work for you--which is more or less the whole idea behind technology in general.

21. jon3543 macrumors 6502

"Not setting the user up to fail" is a central tenet of good design, and for all the talk Apple does about design, sometimes they need their feet held to the fire to walk the walk. I like the swipe-anywhere design for unlocking, but it's stupid to carry it over to the alarm, because it's so easy to perform by accident while fumbling around trying to initiate Snooze. What would have made sense for the alarm is to make tap-anywhere initiate Snooze, while swiping over the traditional "slider area" would remain the way to turn the alarm off.

They actually made the alarm app functionally worse in iOS 7. It's disappointing, as is the Music app no longer respecting album boundaries for playback and shuffle when you enter an album through Artists view, and then there's the huge amount of new scrolling necessary to navigate the new hybrid album/songs view they gave us.

22. dwbl macrumors newbie

So easy for me that doesn't work well for the purpose ! Alarm's always a gesture, not a tool. :rolleyes:
    Should have options so you can be awake totally ? I don't think so ;)

23. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

You can always stop the alarm and go back to sleep if you're lazy enough. You can put your phone out of your easy reach so that you have to get up and turn it off.

24. jon3543 macrumors 6502

Obviously x 2. :rolleyes: These replies sound like they're from my mother, who in several decades has never grasped the concept that I can and do think of obvious workarounds to problems for myself.

When I'm at a loss for what to do, I ask for advice, and I have not asked for advice here. OTOH, when I complain about something that's broken, and there is only one company that can fix it, I'm interested to see if others agree it's broken, and I appeal to the company that can fix it. That's what my first post was about.

People who need to suggest a solution amuse me. I always think of this scene from White Men Can't Jump:

That said, and FTR, I'd appreciate a glass of water in that situation, because that's the actual solution to the problem. But the idea is similar. :D