Alarm volume question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by badgerman, Jul 25, 2008.

1. badgerman macrumors 6502a

I would like to know what the most efficient way to do the following with minimal button pressies, otherwise I will forget and sleep through my alarm or get the CTU ringtone in a meeting;

A) Have my 3G silent over night and not vibrate with a txt/email/call etc however I do want to hear my alarm in the morning, but without it vibrating.
    B) At work I would like it silent, but on vibrate
    C) In the evening have it on sound and vibrate

Up till yesterday I would just switch to silent and leave vibrate on which is fine for at work, but still it vibrates and wakes me up in the night and the alarm would vibrate. So I tried switching to silent with no vibrate for over night and then volume on (but the volume at its lowest) and vibrate during the day. I was hoping I could just increase the volume as needed for the evenings.

This morning with it on silent/no vibrate I did not hear my alarm at all, so tested it and it would say Wake up but no sound. I assume this is because the volume was down. I didn't realise alarm was governed by the ringer volume?

My question is this the only way to do what I want or am I missing something?

1) At night switch to silent/no vibrate, but have the volume high (to hear my alarm)
    2) In the morning switch to sounds, with vibrate, but then make sure volume is down the lowest (interestingly this is not silent)
    3) In the evening after work turn the volume up as required, then repeat 1 before bed?

With my N95, I had best profiles which would do all this automatically, but it did crash a bit more than my 3G.

2. adversecamber macrumors regular

Not sure - I just put mine on Airplane Mode at night so that all tones are loud but it won't ring/text etc. Not sure about the vibrate bit.

My biggest disappointment when I got my iPhone was finding out that turning the phone off disables the alarm. A real shame.