Alas, Disappointed by Lucky Labs Skin

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by PTVMan, Dec 9, 2012.

1. PTVMan macrumors 6502a

I ordered the Lucky Labs Duo Tone skin in Burgundy and Silver for my iPhone 5. It arrived in a very timely fashion. However, it turns out that the pieces were not a good fit at all. The side pieces were too long and covered the antenna (unlike in the attached pic) and the top and bottom pieces on the back were cut too wide and actually hung over one edge. I really hoped it would be an awesome skin, but now I'm returning for a refund.

The search continues.
    [​IMG]

2. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

Try Sticker Boy. It seems like everyone here loves theirs!

3. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

Sorry to hear. My side wraps from lucky labs fit perfectly.

4. PTVMan thread starter macrumors 6502a

May I ask what color(s) you have? Any pics?

5. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

I ordered black and silver. I don't have pics, cause I have my caze on now.

This was when the iPhone 5 first came out, maybe they've changed their dies since then.

You didn't stretch the material at all when installing them did you? I think the directions specifically say not to stretch while applying.

6. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

I had the same exact experience with the Lucky Labs. Very disappointed.

7. PTVMan thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, I was very, very careful not to stretch the pieces.

8. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Goes to show you -- if the manufacturer can't supply a true, actual picture (rather than the photoshopped version above) with the *real* product applied... it's a rather risky purchase.

I have a "best skins ever" skin and while it's seemingly prone to peeling around the headphone jack, it fits very well.

9. PTVMan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good observation. I guess it never occurred to me that the wonderful image is Photoshopped and not a real application of the product.

10. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

They have great customer service and should have no problems getting new ones sent out.

Disappointing yes, but they are quality wraps

11. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Yeah, in all fairness, Best Skins Ever didn't have a pic of the skin applied. It'd be a hard pic to capture cause it's clear. I did however find several positive reviews of the skin I was going to purchase as well as some user-generated pics posted here on macrumors so I felt comfortable ordering.

But with a colored skin like Lucky Labs has produced, they should be able to slap one on an iPhone 5 and take a few detailed pics of it to post on the website.

With all of the negative comments about skin fitment that seem to be swirling around, I think it's more common for fitment to be off a bit. Great idea (the colored skins) on the part of Lucky Labs, but sub-par execution if it doesn't fit right.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do with your refund!

12. PTVMan thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think I'm going to try Sticker Boy and their product that has so-called Extreme Fit. As an aside I passed by the Invisible Shield cart at the mall over the weekend and noticed that they have colored carbon fiber skins that they install. Upon closer look the skins were very cheesy - to the point that the side piece on the volume button side of the phone was not one contiguous piece with cutouts, but actually had tiny pieces of the skin between the two volume buttons and the mute button. So bad (not in a good way) looking.

13. MarkCooz macrumors 6502a

I've tried Lucky Labs. They're pretty good, I didn't have problems with my side wraps. Then I went ahead and tried Sticker Boy. When i had the slate/black iPhone 5. Their extreme fit costs more than the regular fit. But you won't be disappointed. As long as you take your time to really align it. You'll love it. If you want 5% off you can try using "tts2" I've used that coupon all the time when i order from them. Not a lot of savings but still saving money lol.

14. Gray bishop macrumors regular

give carboniphones a shot also
    they also carry an extreme fit and I HATE installing wraps but both extreme fits I received from him were too easy to apply. great guy to buy from and he literally answers the emails right away....

15. bloodninj4 macrumors member

my lucky labs full wrap was just fine and was sized perfectly

only mistake was i got a iphone 4s front instead an iphone 5 they are sending me a replacement and additional back pieces
    great customer service with a bonus

16. meihcydna macrumors regular

customer service however with Sticker Boy is very poor. they barely reply to your emails.

17. PTVMan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Judging by the website carboniphones and Sticker Boy are one in the same.

18. Gray bishop macrumors regular

weird.................. whenever I email Jared he responds instantly
    just sent me 2 emails actually, lol

19. PTVMan thread starter macrumors 6502a

The icarbons and sticker boy websites are virtually identical, right down to the colors and options, and including the Extreme Fit.

20. MarkCooz macrumors 6502a

Their website does look the same, there's a few others that are the same with both iCarbons and Sticker Boy. But i think Sticker Boy has more options to choose from for the iPhone 5 compared to iCarbons.

21. Gray bishop macrumors regular

Spoke to Jared of CarboniPhones, that's his business partner.

Here's the differences between his film and LuckyLabs and iCarbons

over 80 films using 3M Di Noc films
    compared to
    9 films using 1080 film

22. PTVMan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not sure what any of this means, especially the types of films.

23. soundtracker macrumors member

iCarbons also uses 3M Dinoc, per their site here: http://www.icarbons.com/pages/overview They are also doing 25% off with code gift25 right now.

Not sure about Lucky labs...

----------

1080 series, used by some of the skin companies out there, is thinner and not as durable

24. Gray bishop macrumors regular

iCarbons does use 3M Dinoc, my apologies

25. Kenjichaz808 macrumors newbie

check out my review on the digiskins. They cover 100% of the phone. even the chamfered edge.