Alaska shoot-2.2ghz or 2.4 ? 128MB or 256?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by SeattleSnow, Apr 20, 2008.

1. SeattleSnow macrumors newbie

I am looking at a refurbished 15" MBP's on the Apple site. Trying to decide between the 2.2ghz with the 128MB vidcard or the 2.4GHz with the 256MB vidcard.
    $1,449 vs. $1,649.
    I assume that both machines are Santa Rosa's.

The HDD size isn't a big deal at 120GB versus 160GB, since I plan to get a Western Digital 7200rpm and a substantial external HDD. I will up the RAM from the 2GB to 4GB.

I plan to do the RAM myself and the Seattle Mac Store told me I have to get the HDD installed by an authorized Apple tech to keep the warranty.

I am a musician and a filmmaker. I plan to do some heavy editing in both. We will be shooting with a HD camera, most likely a Panasonic AG-HVX200. We will also be using 3-CCD cameras. We will edit with Final Cut Pro. We are going to be shooting in remote locations in Alaska, jumping in and out of planes, helos, boats, trucks, 4-wheelers, etc. daily, pretty rugged use. Lots of travel over the next several months-Hawaii, Mexico, coastal U.S. and B.C.

We are going to be up against the wall on editing, we have two deadlines a week to get 5 minutes of material up on the web.

I have checked out the 17" and really don't want to lug it around. We might buy an external monitor to ship to locales where we can sit down for a while and edit.

The budget is tight, can't wait for the Montevina, or whatever update happens in June. Nor, do we have enough for a Penryn presently. We are poor, working stiffs, not getting the respect$$ we deserve. We will have a budget to update in September, so maybe we will get a new MBP then and sell the Santa Rosa on Craigslist?

So questions as follows:

2.2ghz with the 128MB vidcard or the 2.4GHz with the 256MB vidcard?
    Rendering times? We have to get footage edited fast and up on the web.

Western Digital 7200RPM HDD, what size?

Heat issues? What are we facing?

Any better deals out there? We don't have time to wait for a mail-in rebate.

We definitely want Applecare, but might have to wait a couple of weeks to afford it? Can we buy Applecare down the road?

And we need one of these super-badass multi-media machines ASAP.

Thank you for any of your brilliant advice that you can share.
    We can let you know what we are working on in few months, but contractually, we have to stay mum for now. It's going to be pretty cool.

Thanks!

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

The AppleCare can be bought any time within the first year of purchase, and there are cheaper places than from Apple.

3. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

I think the extra $200 would be worth it to upgrade from 2.2 to 2.4 and double the vram, considering your needs. And yes, wait a while and buy applecare for less money from someone else on eBay or something.

4. highjumppudding macrumors 6502

highjumppudding

upgrade

upgrade, get the most that you can afford.

5. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Practically speaking, what does the extra VRAM specifically get you in Final Cut Studio?

Regardless, as others have said the 2.4 is probably well worth it for you as it comes with the extra VRAM to boot.

EDIT- I answered my own question, at least partially. I guess Motion can use the extra VRAM, if not necessarily the other apps. Some random links-
    http://www.apple.com/fi/finalcutstudio/motion/specs.html
    http://www.macgurus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21999
    http://www.ehmac.ca/anything-mac/46457-video-editors-128mb-video-ram-enough-2.html

6. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

For tight-budget shooting, use the money somewhere else. The difference in render times will not be very noticeable. You also don't need the 7200rpm internal. Stick with the stock 5400 since all of your media will be on an external anyway. Use the saved money for a 2nd external drive to BACKUP that P2 footage from the HVX. You MUST have copies of every piece of footage on 2 separate drives/media.

What format will you be shooting? 720p24N?

7. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

I agree with bigbossbmb.

And if you're using 4 and/or 8 GB P2 cards, I would probably even consider backing up your cards onto DVD/DVD-DL media to have hard copies just in case of a hard disk failure.