AlBook Going Rates

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bunnspecial, Oct 4, 2014.

1. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I haven't really kept up with AlBook prices, but came across one this morning when hitting the flea markets. It's 15", 5,2 version with a 1.25ghz processor. It was very clean-almost perfect-but I passed on it due to the price. It started out at $250, but came down to $175.

If it had been a DLSD, I might have been tempted, but thought that was still awfully high for what it was.

Any thoughts on how far off that was based on what I've described?

I guess I'm a bit spoiled since I paid $40 for my TiBook, and $140 not too long ago for a Core2Duo MacBook.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That seems a bit high for an aluminum Powerbook.

3. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

In perfect shape with a charger, good battery, etc., I'd probably pay no more than $125.

If the battery needs replacing, then maybe $100.

4. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Thanks-sounds like I did right by passing on it(I ended up blowing my flea market cash for the day on an scarce early Smith and Wesson revolver anyway...). I still want an AlBook, but really am holding out for a 15 or 17" DLSD. The one today was by far and away the nicest condition one I've run across however.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

If you could get it to $100.00 or $125.00 in that great of condition then it is worth it in my mind. However, you can get a DLSD for that much or not much more.

6. agottschling macrumors newbie

agottschling

I've got a DLSD 15in in next to perfect condition. (scratches on the bottom case and some discoloration on the palm rest.). I am also looking to get rid of it. I have no idea of the battery condition since I use it plugged in all the time. Looking for somewhere in the ballpark of $160 + shipping. Will only ship in the 48 US

7. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Over here you'd be expecting to pay anywhere in the region of £100 to £150 ($150 to $250) for a top of the line, high-res version. As soon as you drop below the 1.5GHz mark the prices drop off enormously - a comparable 1.25GHz 15" would fetch approx. £70 ($110) in good condition. The 12 inchers always tend to go for a little more than an equivalent 15 or 17 incher because of the form factor too.

I got lucky with my 5,8 PowerBook - it cost me £40 ($60) as it was, and spent £35 ($55) on 2GB RAM and an SSD.

8. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

The original price was way far off, as I can snag a 13 inch MacBook (mid 2009) for $299 right now from Mac of All Trades. The final price is equally bad, since I can get a MacBook from 2007 for $199 from the same place.

I know people like to price things for nostalgia and based off the price of a new Mac, but seriously, it needs to stop. They need priced off the market for a used MacBook and that ain't a whole lot of money!

I love my PowerPC's to death, but I am also very realistic about this.

9. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Email sent!

10. catzilla macrumors 6502

catzilla

Well put!
    Around here (Southern New England) you will find CL loaded with crazy prices on PPC Macs posted right next to cheaper current Macs. Some guy is listing G5 systems for $500 next to $250 Mac Pros. There is a G3 B&W system with a couple of SCSI peripherals and a bad video card that started at $500! That is down to $150 for the last few weeks...
    That said, it seems I'm always a day late to the party. I missed a $20 complete iMac G4 and a 20" C2D iMac for $100. In both cases I was the second offer.

11. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I tend to just cruise by the high price ads too, although as I said I wasn't familiar enough with pricing on this model to really know how far off it was.

As I said, I paid $140 a month or so back for a C2D White Macbook with 4gb of ram, a brand new battery(3 cycles showing on it) and a 320gb HDD. That's a computer new enough to run even the most current OS X version, and in fact I installed Yosemite Public Beta on it. Plus, I got a good original "T" type Magsafe charger, which I prefer to the redesigned "L" type that always either sticks out the back of the computer or blocks ports.

12. agottschling macrumors newbie

agottschling

I sent you an email. Check your spam folder if you don't see one from me.

13. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

They usually vary, but as most have said, once below around 1.5Ghz, the prices become drastically lower, all except for the 12" models. (we all know why).

I bought a 15" (2004) PowerBook G4 1.5Ghz with 512MB of RAM and 70-ish GB HD for $50. It had a deep scuff on the left palm rest because, I assume, the user wore a wristwatch while using it. There are some keys that are worn in a fashion that makes it look as if they were smudged with Sharpie. Overall it's OKAY, but not great. The HD suffered the notorious light-saber sounds before dying on me. I am soon going to replace it with a new stock IDE HD or something.

Still, $50 was a pretty good price, and the friend I bought it from used some of the money to buy ourselves something to eat. xD Usually I see these models go for $100 at most, maybe about $70-110? Not sure as I don't look around too much.