Album Art Glitch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MiOdd, Feb 16, 2010.

1. MiOdd macrumors newbie

MiOdd

I know this has been asked several times before but every thread I was able to dig up was somewhat old and had an unsatisfactory solution. I'm hoping somebody has something new to add to the topic that I may have missed in my search.

Basically, the problem goes, I update all my album art in iTunes, everything is perfect and clean. However, occasionally, the artwork does not display correctly on my 64gb iPod Touch. For example, I click an artist and in the list of albums all the preview images look okay, then I click an album and a completely different artist's album art would be displayed, if I tilt the iPod sideways to the cover flow it displays the correct album again but in portrait, it's always wrong.

Now from what I've read, all that you need to do is re-sync the song and it will correct the issue. I've done that and it worked but the issue keeps reappearing. I've completely removed every song off my iPod and re-synced everything to ensure that all the artwork is correct but no matter what I do, I keep finding these issues resurfacing and it is very annoying, cumbersome and ineffective to keep wiping my iPod clean every time I notice the glitch. This is what I've been doing because I don't know how many songs it effects every time I notice it.

So my question is, does anybody know a good effective way to correct this and does anybody know what causes this issue in the first place?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong on this but from the sounds of it, this issue has been around for awhile and Apple never addressed it, correct? So if we're not going to get a firmware update to correct this, are there any jailbroken apps to help assist the situation?

Thanks in advance for any help or info you can provide me.

2. pilotrtc macrumors regular

I have had an iPod Touch for 16 months and have been reading these boards pretty regularly ever since and I don't recall this issue coming up and not be solvable. Of course, there have been a few vacations without my computer...

Anyway, the first thing I would check is to make sure that the offending album has all songs assigned with the exact same title, artist, art, etc. album-wise. A dash could put it out of sync.

After that, I'm not sure. I've had this problem and when I checked the songs of the same album and matched the settings, that fixed the problem.

3. MiOdd thread starter macrumors newbie

MiOdd

Thanks, but I don't think the problem has anything to do with the way I'm tagging the songs. If I simply un-select the songs in iTunes and sync the iPod then select the songs once more and sync again the problem is fixed without making any actual changes to the song itself or its tags.

My question, is not necessarily how to correct a single album when the glitch occurs, I can do that, but because I'm managing a library of over 10,000+ songs it is nearly impossible to go through every album to ensure the correct art is being displayed. I want a solution that address the problem as a whole.

The first time this happened my entire library was affected. Everything was wrong. I did my research and learned that the problem was common and the easiest way to fix it was to create a playlist that contains zero songs and only sync that playlist. This will essentially wipes the iPod clean of all music. So I did that, then deleted said playlist and re-synced my entire library. Sure enough, this fixed the problem, or so I thought. After a few days I noticed another album was wrong, so it appeared it was just that one album so I just re-synced that one album as I described earlier, unselect, sync, reselect, sync, problem fixed. However, the more I use my iPod the more albums I find that are wrong. So I once again, I went through the process of creating a blank playlist to reset all songs again, and again, it fixed the albums I noticed had that had the issue prior, but afterwards I found new problems.

I just don't know what to do anymore. It is very frustrating.

4. androiphone macrumors 65816

how is the album art added to the music, through itunes (right click and get album art) or in the ID3 tag (you dragged a picture to the blank album art area)?

also what type of music is it (mp3, aac, apple lossless)?

5. MiOdd thread starter macrumors newbie

MiOdd

All my music are mp3s and the album art was loaded both ways. When I first made my transition into iTunes I ran the "Get Album Art" feature which took care of a good chunk of my library but after that I loaded everything else manually by right clicking on info and dragging an image into the artwork box.

6. androiphone macrumors 65816

if the problem is just on one of those ways to bind album art just change it on the affected songs, I have all mine mp3 and in the ID3 tags (drag and drop) and have no problem

7. MiOdd thread starter macrumors newbie

MiOdd

Is there a way to determine which method was used when applying the album art? I don't remember what albums I manually assigned myself. If I could check, I'll take a look at the offending albums to see if they were all applied the same way.

8. androiphone macrumors 65816

might be similar on a mac but in windows (vista or above) if you find the file in explorer (if you dont know where it is you can right click and 'find on disc' in itunes) if you single click to highlight the song if the album art is shown its in the ID3 if it isnt it was done by itunes

9. MiOdd thread starter macrumors newbie

MiOdd

Okay, I'm on a Mac but when I click on the file in its physical location, the preview image is displayed with the correct album art. So I'm guessing that means it it written in the ID3 tag.

10. androiphone macrumors 65816

it is likely but I cant be 100% sure for a mac, but if it is the case and it is written to the ID3 tag you could simply delete the album art (right click info in itunes then album art) and use the 'get album art' option in itunes, may not fix the problem but wouldnt do any harm
    (reason I like it in the ID3 tag is because it can be read by everything, phones, other mp3 players, etc, and not just avalible in itunes and ipods)

11. MiOdd thread starter macrumors newbie

MiOdd

It most definitely will fix the problem on any single album malfunction but I need a solution that will fix everything. I have too many songs to go through my entire library and re-apply the artwork to everything. This also won't answer the question of how to prevent this in the future. I keep fixing single album glitches as they occur but I keep finding more and more that are wrong.

12. androiphone macrumors 65816

it may be long winded but it's the only possible solution I see