Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jay55

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2019
Yup. My art is twisted, perverted and mismatched out of control with ipados=wth Apple!

pdxa4

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
So my album art is correct in iTunes, but on my iPhone it is all messed up. How do we reset album art for music on the phone ?

ScottW1

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
NW Washington, USA
So my album art is correct in iTunes, but on my iPhone it is all messed up. How do we reset album art for music on the phone ?
I have had success going to "Settings, Storage, Music" on the phone, deleting artists/albums with incorrect artwork, then connecting to iTunes and syncing again. (Note: All my music is synced from iTunes, no other source.) After re-syncing the deleted albums, artwork is correct for those albums.

This makes me wonder -- though I haven't tried it yet -- if just deleting the entire library from the phone and then doing a sync would fix it all in one go.

tempmacrumorsaccount

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2019
Are other people still having issues with this in 13.2? Seems like my problem is similar-ish to whats been mentioned here previously, but not exactly.

I've switched to Swinsian on my mac, after giving up on apple's Music app completely. I've embedded artwork in every mp3/aac, but whenever I copy a file to my phone (by dragging and dropping the files onto my iphone either in Finder or Music), the artwork is missing. Does apple now only show artwork from Apple Music and ignore embedded artwork altogether now?

With the latest ios update, its also started showing each track from an album as an individual album, and not grouping them together. Since most other ios audio players rely on the Music library, I can't even switch to a different app. I've tried wiping and restoring my phone but to no avail. I also don't use icloud music library or match so they can't be a factor.

Any suggestions for a workaround or will I just have to wait it out?

kobby2k6

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2018
Northern Virginia
Are other people still having issues with this in 13.2? Seems like my problem is similar-ish to whats been mentioned here previously, but not exactly.

I've switched to Swinsian on my mac, after giving up on apple's Music app completely. I've embedded artwork in every mp3/aac, but whenever I copy a file to my phone (by dragging and dropping the files onto my iphone either in Finder or Music), the artwork is missing. Does apple now only show artwork from Apple Music and ignore embedded artwork altogether now?

With the latest ios update, its also started showing each track from an album as an individual album, and not grouping them together. Since most other ios audio players rely on the Music library, I can't even switch to a different app. I've tried wiping and restoring my phone but to no avail. I also don't use icloud music library or match so they can't be a factor.

Any suggestions for a workaround or will I just have to wait it out?

I am still on 13.1.1 since I have heard mostly complaints since 13.1.2 was released. From your description, it seems the music app issues got worse. I dont have apple music but I sync music from created playlists on my computer through itunes. My only issue is the album art for playlists are wrong but once I access the playlists, all the songs have their current album arts. It might be a game breaking issue but it's annoying to me since I am big on organizing my music and having the correct album arts and related information.
[automerge]1572478435[/automerge]
Only having issues with playlist album art jumping around myself

same here. Have you been able to fix it somehow?

igrover

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Issue still exists with iOS 13.3. iPhone Music App playlist album art is correct for the first 15 playlists then starts repeating the first 15 playlist artwork over and over again. However when you go inside a playlist the album artwork is displayed correctly for each song.

Reactions: jagolden

kobby2k6

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2018
Northern Virginia
They don't seem to care, issue was introduced with the first release of 13.0 and still hasn't been fixed in 13.3. It is annoying issue that shouldn't be hard to fix on their end in my opinion but then again I don't code. Issue only affects "my playlists (about 40 of them lol, which are all created on my PC and synced over for years now with no issue till IOS 13)" btw. Album arts for songs and albums are fine

Reactions: jagolden

igrover

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Issue still exists with iOS 13.3. iPhone Music App playlist album art is correct for the first 15 playlists then starts repeating the first 15 playlist artwork over and over again. However when you go inside a playlist the album artwork is displayed correctly for each song.

So I just upgraded to MacOS Catalina from Mohave. Let the new Music app search for album art and then synched the iPhone to the Music app. And now all my album art problems are gone. So it must be something with how the new Music app handles album art.

MrInquestador

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2015
iOS 13.5 here. This effing bug still exists. ?
[automerge]1590816221[/automerge]
So I just upgraded to MacOS Catalina from Mohave. Let the new Music app search for album art and then synched the iPhone to the Music app. And now all my album art problems are gone. So it must be something with how the new Music app handles album art.
The artwork of all the songs in my Mac's music library has no problem. It only exists on my iPhone.

Reactions: gank41

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
iOS 13.5 here. This effing bug still exists. ?
[automerge]1590816221[/automerge]

The artwork of all the songs in my Mac's music library has no problem. It only exists on my iPhone.
+1. Apple is an absolute mess at this point, Just look at OSX Catalina, im personally on Mojave but anyone that upgrade to Catalina is saying its a disaster. Is there no quality control on software on Apple's end anymore?

MrInquestador

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2015
+1. Apple is an absolute mess at this point, Just look at OSX Catalina, im personally on Mojave but anyone that upgrade to Catalina is saying its a disaster. Is there no quality control on software on Apple's end anymore?
Mine has been fixed. I unchecked the sync, applied it. Then checked sync library and re-applied it. Everything's great now. ?

SegNerd

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2020
I feel like this issue has been off and on for at least ten years. I do still experience it currently. It is annoying, but you can just ignore it.

WilliamDu

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2012
i'm having no problems with iTunes artwork on 13.3 syncing from Mojave and have given up accepting any more Apple upgrades or hardware purchases until there are no more posts on iTunes causing problems with music or on Photos messing up photo files.
All my Apple iMacs, iPads, and iPods work fine on existing software. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Apple QC is dust.

kobby2k6

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2018
Northern Virginia
i'm having no problems with iTunes artwork on 13.3 syncing from Mojave and have given up accepting any more Apple upgrades or hardware purchases until there are no more posts on iTunes causing problems with music or on Photos messing up photo files.
All my Apple iMacs, iPads, and iPods work fine on existing software. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Apple QC is dust.

How did you fix it? I have this album art issue with my synced Itunes music as well. I am on ios 13.3 as well.

WilliamDu

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2012
How did you fix it? I have this album art issue with my synced Itunes music as well. I am on ios 13.3 as well.
Nothing to fix prior to Catalina. I never touched it and won't unless IT gets fixed.
Nothing there but problems which I can't see bothering with.
I'm not a "power user" and prefer sticking with what I know works just fine rather than performing as a troubleshooter or shill for Apple. There are plenty of those already here in the forums.
I've been using Apple hardware professionally and at home almost 40 years, since the Apple II in the early '80s, owning dozens of various Macs, iPads, iPods, etc.
Apple has changed. Most innovative things do.
The bottom line people replace the idea people and bloat replaces innovation.
At 88, Apple hardware is just a tool for me that facilitates enjoying my music, photography, investments, and widespread family and old friends communications, and general entertainment, not an end in itself.
Simply a more complicated, much more useful and very entertaining wrench set.

Last edited:

ecceben

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2014
Wow, it seems like this has been going on forever. I found this topic searching for what in the world could be up with my iTunes library's art!

I've never noticed this before!

I updated to 14.6, and have a 12 Pro Max.

iPhone settings have Sync Library off.

iTunes has iCloud Music Library checked, Automatically Download Album Artwork off.

It's so frustrating because my iTunes library was so completely organized and artwork meticulously matched to albums and unreleased collections (anyone remember albumartexchange.com?)

After its latest sync, songs on iPhone in Music show completely randomized artwork. The track could be "Sinnerman" by Nina Simone but the album artwork is showing Mozart's "The Magic Flute." I mean, RIDICULOUS.

Artwork in the actual iTunes library itself seems to be screwed up as well as some albums are grayed out with missing artwork, even though I am 100% positive it was there before the sync.

I haven't even gone looking at track by track yet (>50,000 tracks here). I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and go full on Apple Music eventually, but I enjoy having my own local library of tracks, organized to my liking with track names and specific artwork. Call me OCD, I guess.

For any fans of opera, you'll know the track naming conventions are SO varied across labels. A lot of labels will list "Mozart.The Magic Flute.Disc 1.Track 1.Der Holle Rache" or some derivation of that. I'd organized and renamed over 100 operas' tracks and took out all the superfluous track info, as well as put in specific artwork.

That seems to be gone now. Ugh.

Is the ultimate answer just to turn off iCloud's Music Library? It kind of sucks though because the whole point of Apple Music, for me at least, is the flat fee of streaming unlimited.

SegNerd

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2020
I’m sorry to say this, but the ultimate answer is to just stop caring about album artwork.

I used to update mine fastidiously too, but this has been a problem since the iPod days, and it’s just not worth the effort.

ecceben

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2014
It's a hard thing to let go of, haha. It's odd it stays in place for some albums, but completely changes or disappears from others.

You'd think it'd be rather basic to ensure the iTunes library (metadata, artwork, etc.) matched the iPhone library. Even with Apple Music, you're able to download tracks into the local iTunes library and change the artwork and info. I guess iPhones, iPads, etc., more frequently (actually, probably all the time nowadays) query some server to ensure up to date information and in the process overwrites whatever's been synced since the last iTunes connection.

Reactions: SegNerd

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
I’m sorry to say this, but the ultimate answer is to just stop caring about album artwork.

I used to update mine fastidiously too, but this has been a problem since the iPod days, and it’s just not worth the effort.
Very true indeed

Reactions: SegNerd

pvd2ath

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2021
I am STILL having this problem. 15,000 iTunes and ALL of the artwork is messed up! It only happened AFTER I was connected to iCloud (defaulted) and I am no longer connected to iCloud and I am STILL having this problem. How can they not have fixed this by now???

Reactions: pdxa4
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.