Album Art Woes!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by wakerider017, Oct 4, 2007.

1. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Well I have about 90 complete albums in my library. All of which have Album Art.

I recently acquired 3 new CD's and I had to add the Album Art manually. (No biggie I have done this many times before. I just get the art from Amazon)

Well I add the Album art in iTunes and it looks great there... But when I go to sync to my iPod Touch it is not showing up for those 3 albums...

What is going on here?

2. jepaz macrumors regular

Apparently there are some inconsistencies with the Cover Flow and the Artwork attached to your music. To ensure that the artwork is attached to the song, in iTunes, click View > Show Artwork. You should be able to see the artwork in the lower left corner of iTunes when playing the song and coincides with what you are seeing in Cover Flow. If not, it means that the artwork is not attached to your music but Cover Flow manages to find the right Artwork based on your music album tag.

3. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

4. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Make sure all the individual songs on the album have the art attached. If they have the same ID3 tag information but they don't all include artwork, or don't all include the same artwork, it can cause problems.

5. wakerider017 thread starter macrumors 68000

wakerider017

That fixed it...

Why does iTunes do that?

6. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Dunno. Doesn't bug me personally, but it did weird me out at first.

7. mayedag macrumors newbie

Mixed Up Album Art

I'm using version 7.4.2(4). I'm getting inconsistent results from the "Get Album Art" feature.

For example, on one album, various tracks have either (a) the proper album cover; (b) an improper album cover; or (c) no artwork at all.

Another example occurs with albums that include "Greatest Hits" in the title. I have numerous albums that incorrectly display the artwork for "Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' Greatest Hits". When I try to manually drag the proper album art from Amazon nothing happens.

Any ideas on fixing these quirks would be appreciated.

Thanks!

8. asxtb macrumors 6502

Not trying to hijack the thread. Just don't want to get yelled out for not searching. :rolleyes:

I've got a Greatest Hits album by the RHCPs which shows up fine in iTunes' coverflow. But on the touch's coverflow it is missing. It is actually listed under the Guns 'n Roses Greatest hits album on the touch. When searching by artists it is under the RHCP's but when I turn it to coverflow it movies the G'nR. It may be the same problem as Mayedag. Any ideas?

9. snooze button macrumors newbie

I've never had an issue with album art.

That said, maybe you all should follow the steps I take when adding art:

1) In iTunes, select the songs in the album with Shift-click so that all the songs are selected. The songs, not the album title.

2) Type Command-I or choose 'Get Info' from the File menu.

3) Find album art. If it's on a web site, right-click on it and choose 'Copy Image'.
    If it's a file on your computer, open it in Preview and choose 'Copy' from the Edit menu or type Command-C.

4) Click on the Artwork square in the Get Info window in iTunes and Paste, either by typing Command-V or choosing Paste from the Edit menu.

5) Click the OK button.

Using this method, the artwork will be added to every track, not just the 'album art' reference that seems to be stored in iTunes' Library file.

It takes a second longer (especially on older machines) to add it, but this will solve your album art woes.

10. thegrandmaster macrumors regular

thegrandmaster

I had a similar problem once, where a song from the Best Of The Jam had the album art of the 'Best Of Carly Simon'. I can't remember how I fixed it in the end, I think ultimately I had to completely delete the track and fiddle a whole lot.

11. pauld macrumors regular

it may be worth noting that, for the purposes of coverflow, album artwork is only necessary for track 1.
    I had issues where the artwork was showing in iTunes but not on the ipod. Turned out that the artwork was only embedded in a number of tracks from the albums in question, but not the first track.

12. asxtb macrumors 6502

Maybe I can make this more clear. In iTunes everything is fine. The two Greatest hits albums are seperate and in their proper places. It is only on the touch that it seems to read the album name as Greatest Hits and thinks 'Hey! There is another Greatest Hits album on here. Must be the same' and then combines them. So the RHCP's Greatest Hits is found mixed in with the Guns 'n Roses Greatest Hits album. But again, this is only on the touch.

13. mssm macrumors newbie

This is really a nice piece of info. I have a question : if you select more than than one songs from the same album and then press command-I or "get info", does the white album artwork window show up? I chose all the songs by clicking command-A and then command-I. I don't get the album artwork window. Only I can change artist/album/genre info. What am I missing?

14. soveryfaraway macrumors newbie

CoverFlow "out of sequence"

For some reason, all albums that are deemed to be "compilations" are placed at the end of the line on the Touch and Classic - though not in iTunes itself (go figure). You can change the album from being a 'compilation' to not in iTunes using "Get Info".

This solves that mystery, I think.

Cheers! :apple: