Album art wrong (but right in coverflow view)?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by digduggler, Jul 2, 2007.

1. digduggler macrumors regular

Just noticed that the album art in 'portrait' mode as well as the thumbnails next to artists are just wrong. However, when I rotate to 'landscape' view the album art is correct (in coverflow view). Anyone else seeing this behavior?

2. Djmx macrumors 6502

yea same wit me.... i think it might be a bug or something

3. catanomy macrumors newbie

I'm not experiencing the same problem. Covers are correct for me in all views.

Different problem with one album: on the iPhone it looks like 2 albums (with same cover), each with half the tracks. Looks fine in iTunes.

4. SiLeNtKiLLa macrumors member

My first couple syncs with music, it would give the same cd cover art to a couple different cds in my list, if I delete those cds and sync again, it did the same thing, so I had to delete all music and re-sync it, and everything worked out. Show right in iTunes, but on the phone, 2 or 3 different cds with same album art.

5. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

each song holds it's own album art, make sure it is right in iTunes,
    click the show/hide album art button in the botton left hand corner of iTunes, then make sure it shows up the same in all songs,

in coverflow it only takes the art from one song of the album,

im 99% sure that is your problem,

im 100% sure it is not a bug, there is just something different with the art for each song.

6. digduggler thread starter macrumors regular

Actually I have verified this on several different songs. Album art is right in iTunes, wrong on iPhone. This only popped up after I synched a a smart playlist.

7. ScottW-CO macrumors newbie

I've got similar issues. I've ended up making an 'iPhone' playlist and putting albums I want in there.

1) Some albums show up in proper order in iTunes, but on the phone, the order is whacked up. I think I've solved this one - you have to have the "total tracks" value filled out in all the tracks' info to get the iPhone display order to show correctly.

(Edit: Not as such. Thought I had this solved - added the total-tracks values to an out-of-order album. When iTunes started syncing, the sync message at the top ticked through the tracks in the right order - but on the phone, the tracks are still in the wrong order.)

2) Albums with varying artists (i.e. soundtracks), there's no rhyme or reason to which artist name shows up next to the album title in Cover Flow. One soundtrack I've got, 22 tracks, most of which are by one artist - it's the artist of track #21 that shows up.

And related to #2 - 3) You have to tie the album art to the track by that one artist being displayed in Cover Flow for the album art to show up. You'd think you could throw it in on the first track... but I imagine the issue with #2 is the same with #3 in the grand scheme.

8. digduggler thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, I unchecked sync music and synched the iPhone. I then re-enabled sync music and let everything sync back on and the issue disappeared. So that should be a possible workaround.

9. 2allbeefpatties macrumors newbie

ugh

Same problem here. It appears if I added artwork because iTunes couldn't find it, I have to add it to each song individually? Yikes, any easier way? (Tried highlighting them all and no worky)

10. digduggler thread starter macrumors regular

No. Highlight all the songs on the album, rt click -> get info and drag the image to the artwork. Assigns it to all songs on the album.

There are also several widgets that will automate this for you. Search on Apple's widgets page.

11. 2allbeefpatties macrumors newbie

12. digduggler thread starter macrumors regular

Okay this is apparently a recurring bug. I synch up from 3 playlists to my iPhone:

1). Tracks 4+ stars I haven't heard in 6 months (3 Gig max)
    2). Tracks I haven't rated (150 song max)
    3). An iPhone playlist (specific things I want to hear)

When I synch every few days a few of 1 (if I listen) and 2 (if I rate) get replaced. Then the album art on the iPhone goes waaacko. All messed up. Unsync all music and resync and I'm fine. Definitely a bug.

13. kyuzumaki macrumors newbie

Coverflow is using the first song in the album to find the artwork. The problem occurs if you have songs in the same album with different artwork.

Just get info on the song with correct artwork copy the artwork by clicking and hitting ON OSX> cmd+c or ON WIN>ctrl+c. Select all songs in album highlight artwork box and cmd+v or ctrl+v to paste.

Edit: oops sorry for bumping such an old thread didn't read the date

14. iChuck macrumors newbie

Albums with Same Names

I couldn't figure out why when the song list in the cover view for Procol Harum included tracks from The Bangles... Then I noticed both albums were titled simply "Greatest Hits."

iTunes is smart enough to distinguish the two (and other albums that happen to have the same name but are different artists), but apparently the iPhone/iPod isn't.

So I had to rename the albums something like: "Bangles: Greatest Hits" and "Procol Harem's Greatest Hits." It's kind of annoying because then you get a redundant display that reads: "Procol Harum's Greatest Hits" (by) "Procol Harem." But this is what it took to keep the song lists separate on the iPhone iPod.

15. Mekklesack macrumors newbie

Here's what I did to resolve the problem for seeing Album art in the Album selection.

You must go into iTunes on your PC/Macbook, pick the songs of the album you want to fix from the music list and then go to: Get Info > Sorting, then you will fill in the name of the Album in the "sort album" space provided.

Also as a precaution I also made sure to check; in the "info" tab at the bottom right corner to set each song as "part of a compilation." I also made sure back in the "sorting" menu to fill out the space which requires "Sort Album Artist."

I did it for each individual song of the album, in the list.

The problem was solved and I had the thumbnail of the album, in the "album" selection section as well as in coverflow.

The problem occurred for me when I removed a purchased song from an album when syncing my iphone to itunes on my mac.

which was the case I'm sure for some of you.

I hope these measures help resolve your thumbnail issues the album select screen on your iphone.

16. vijer macrumors newbie

it is BUG

ME 1000 I am 99% sure you do not know what you are a talking about and 100% sure it is a bug.

All of my artwork was correct until a few days ago and now some artwork is displayed wrong. The artwork is correct in iTunes on the PC but not on the iPhone. The only thing that is different is that I added my songs to my library.

17. RDL macrumors member

I'm experiencing the same problem and have been for awhile. I was just living with it but decided to google today in hopes to find a solution. I always add artwork myself (never use the get info option) and in iTunes and on my iPod I have never had any problems but on the iPhone it will show album artwork from a completely different artist, song and genre. Theres no connection at all its just completely random.

I'll try to delete all music on iPhone then resync like suggested and see if that will correct it. I only use smart playlist so maybe thats the problem? It has to be a bug. Makes no sense it would be right in iTunes and on an iPod but not on the iPhone.

18. blue2noise macrumors regular

I am having this bug as well. I wonder if it has something to do with podcasts. How many of you having the problem have automatic podcasts syncing as well?

19. RDL macrumors member

I don't have any podcasts on my iPhone so its not isolated to podcasts only.

20. deckwalker macrumors member

Bump - still a bug

So this showed up in 2007 initially? I'm having the same problem on my 3Gs. I wonder if it has something to do with the smart playlists or genius playlists? That's when I started having the issue.

When I'm listening to music with the phone in landscape and coverflow appears the cover art appears correctly. Sometimes (randomly it appears) when the phone is in portrait the cover art is not related to the song playing. Often times the cover art appears to be for a genius mix. Yesterday I was listening to Cesaria Evora and on coverflow it showed up with album art related to Eminem, Vanilla Ice, Nelly and Beastie Boys. Bizzare.

Does anyone else use Tune Up? I feel like this problem showed up only after I started using Tune Up.

21. larrybradshaw macrumors newbie

Same issue

iTunes and my mac have correct cover art, but when I find the album on by artist on my iPhone it has some completely unrelated album cover as the album art work.

22. Amatatomba macrumors newbie

I had the same issue on my iPhone. Album art was all mixed up or not showing up in portrait mode, but was correct in coverflow. After I removed all my music and then re-added it (for another reason), it was all fine and has been so ever since.

23. m.austin macrumors newbie

I have never had issues with this before, but have had in the past few days. I downloaded an audiobook from audible. The cover of the book is correct on iTunes. When I go to my list of books Billy Currington's album art shows up on 2 of the 4 books in my list instead of the book covers. The other 2 covers are correct. Strangely, when I open up the book it switches to Carrie Underwood. Other than deleting & reinstalling everything, are there any quick fixes?

24. legendair1 macrumors newbie

Thanks

Guys many thanks for this fix; I had the same issues with the cover flow; good in the itune wrong in the phone in cover flow;

The fix unselect the music in itune Phone; sync; then reselect music in phone itune; sync; problem gone

Total time is approx 10min for me; better fix then a restore

Cheers

25. mista2 macrumors newbie

Cover art messed up.

Mine is wron in coverflow view, and the background behind lyrics or podcast notes, but is correct in list eve or album details thumbnails.
    I sync with iTunes 10.2 on Mac OSX 10.6.