Album Artwork - "Selected item"

Discussion in 'iPod' started by dman8950, Jan 21, 2008.

1. dman8950 macrumors member

Hello

I was wondering if anyone could help explain something to me. I have G5 iMac, with the latest version of iTunes installed. In the bottom left corner of the application window, there is the album artwork area. This only displays the artwork when I have selected a song.

On the other hand, when I use my new macbook pro at work, again with the latest version of iTunes installed, the artwork is displayed for the track that is currently being played, no matter which song is selected in the main part of the window.

My question to you is, can you explain this? At first I thought it was an outdated software version issue. But now that I have updated both versions of iTunes, I think that it is a PPC vs. Intel issue.

Does anyone know about this? Have you had similar problems? Do you think you can help? I'd like it if the iTunes on the PPC performed like it does on the Intel...that is, it shows the song that is currently playing in the album art window.

This problem occurs in all 3 views (list, grouped, coverflow).

Thanks for reading all of this, and for any insight you might provide.

2. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

I'm not on my computer at the second, but if memory serves there should be a little "play" arrow on the square in the bottom left that's showing the artwork. If you click it the artwork will switch back and forth between Playing and Selected.

3. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

For me if I click on the title bar for the album art box, it changes from selected to now playing, see if this works.

4. dman8950 thread starter macrumors member

Wow, I'm an idiot...

Thanks guys for such a quick response. You both hit the nail on the head...all I had to do was click above the artwork to toggle between "now playing" and "selected item".

Thanks again.

5. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

6. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

No prob, and no you are not an idiot, there was no real way to tell if that could be changed by clicking on it. If I were you and hadn't accidentally clicked on it before, I would have been digging through the preferences until I found absolutely nothing.

7. rasthedoctor macrumors newbie

Seriously, I had a similar issue with the fact that iTunes wasn't displaying the total time/library size at the bottom, just an estimate (which irked me to no end)... until I accidentally clicked on it and *poof* totals.

8. dman8950 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks again. Yeah, it is something that bugged me for 2 reasons...the first because I wanted to see the 'now playing' artwork and the second because I couldn't find it anywhere! In the preferences, in the help, on the web. I guess I'm disappointed in myself for not figuring it out, but it happens. i could have sworn I tried clicking there before, as I thought I tried everything. Oh well.

9. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

I'm the exact opposite. lol Because my music collection is very large, I still tend to find albums that don't have artwork, or I'll add new albums and need to find the artwork. Since I'm almost always playing music, I want to make sure I'm seeing the art (or lack thereof) for whatever music files it is I'm manipulating, not just what's playing. But to each his own! Glad you got the results you're looking for. :p