Album track order wrong

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ScottW-CO, Jul 3, 2007.

1. ScottW-CO macrumors newbie

I'm thinking this is more of an iTunes issue than iPhone, but since the two are related...

I've got a particular album that I threw into the playlist I created for iPhone syncing. When poking around in the album on the phone, the tracks of this album are out of order - it shows the tracks 8-13 first, then 1-7 after.

At first I thought this was because the info for 8-13 had composer info and 1-7 didn't. I cleared that data out so it would be consistent. But that didn't help.

I later noticed that in the playlist in iTunes, it's showing the 8-13/1-7 order the same as I'm seeing on the iPhone. All the tracks have their own track number and the total tracks number.

Any ideas why the playlist can't seem to order the tracks correctly? Other albums in the same playlist order up just fine.

2. Subiklim macrumors 6502

I don't have a solution, but I thought you might like to know that I am experiencing the same issue.

3. ScottW-CO thread starter macrumors newbie

Found another album that goes into the playlist out of order - and the "composer" field seems to be the culprit. Only two tracks out of thirteen had any data in for "composer", and they're the two that get shuffled to the top of the list.

The previously mentioned album, it was similiar - tracks 8-13 had composer info, 1-7 didn't.

With the first album, I've tried clearing the composer data entirely, or replacing it across all tracks with a common string - but that hasn't helped as far as the existing playlist.

HOWEVER... if I create a NEW playlist and drop that album in, it sorts properly. And oddly enough, the second album with order issues, when dropped into this new playlist, also sorts properly.

It may well be a combo of the two - if an album ever gets out of order, just have to create a new playlist, move stuff in, and tag it as the iPhone sync playlist instead of the old one. Annoying, but workable.

4. cowm007 macrumors regular

Just an idea, but do some of the tracks have the "Disc" field filled in? I remember having a similar problem once and it turned out half my tracks had "Disc 1 of 1" filled in and the rest didn't.

5. ScottW-CO thread starter macrumors newbie

"Album Artist" field seems to be the real culprit. The same tracks that had "composer" data had "Album Artist" data as well. Setting that for all tracks of the album did the trick.

6. cgonz61070 macrumors newbie

FRIENDS:
    When you right-click on any song and go to Get Info, under the Info tab you need to have the EXACT info of the song, icluding of course the track number. Then, under the Sorting tab, you also need to have the EXACT info for every song. I usually fill the Name, Artist, and Album fields, and leave everything else blank. You will have the exact order this way.