Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bldmn

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
I was wondering if anyone would have any ideas why an album which I've had in my iTunes Library for a few years is now showing as 2 different albums, with some songs in one album and some in the other?

The iTunes version is 11.0.1

Thanks!

jcb10

macrumors regular
May 14, 2008
It seems some of the metadata was changed, accidentallyor not.

Easiest way to recombine them is to go into the iTunes song list, select all the albums and hit cmd-i. iTunes will ask if you want to change the data for multiple items. Click yes. Then fill in the album title, disc x of x (usually 1 of 1), year and number of tracks (blank of x). If all those match, iTunes should consider all the songs as belonging to the same album.

Example, I downloaded a couple Lady Gaga songs from the same album from different sources (Rhapsody and Amazon). One place had the artist as Lady "GaGa" and the other as Lady "Gaga." Just that slight change in capitalization confused iTunes. Making them have consistent capitalization got them placed as the same album.

dholaday

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2009
Look also at the "sorting" options in "Get Info".

I found a few albums that had, somehow, different names in the "Sort Artist" field - some songs with First Name Last Name, others with Last Name First Name - even when an album had been imported from the same source at the same time. That was enough to cause the kind of problem ou describe.
Changing all the songs to have the same sort metadata fixed the problem and re-united the songs under a single album.

bldmn

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Thanks for the help and suggestions - I'll give it a try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.