Albums in photo gallery

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by mknabster, Oct 25, 2010.

1. mknabster macrumors regular

As I'm advancing my website, I want to add more pictures to my gallery, but I would like categories within the gallery, not just a bunch of them all on the page. So how would I go about having albums within the same photo gallery that people can click on to go into the gallery? If you don't know what I mean, here's an example of someone's site which has that: http://andycolwell.smugmug.com/. Now I know that was on Smugmug, but something like that in terms of categories leading into each specific album. Here's what my website looks like as of now: http://www.mkstudios.comxa.com

2. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

If the gallery is database driven, add another field to the table with a category ID, and another table named categories storing the category names associated with each ID. Then you'll join this in your regular queries to pull only the category selected by the user (based on a query populating a pulldown menu, or whatever form or link or icon or whatever allowing the user to decide). When users or admin uploads a photo, they select the category as well.

Is this what you meant?

-jim

3. mknabster thread starter macrumors regular

I'm sorry, I really don't know what you mean. I'm not familiar with the jargon that goes along with web design, which is why i'm using iWeb, would you be able to show me an example of what you mean perhaps?

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

You didn't mention you were using iWeb in your original post. That severally limits what you can do. When it has come up in the past no one really had any good ideas if using just iWeb. For an easy to use Gallery check out Gallery ;) Just need to make sure your web host supports a database and PHP.

5. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

You didn't mention you were using iWeb, this forum is also for web development so my answer was oriented towards that. iWeb does not involve a database and server side scripting language like PHP which is a popular means as to how developers create what you're looking for.

Since you're already using a gallery on iWeb you need to tell us what it is so we can determine options for you within your current iWeb setup.

Plan B: Consider switching to a Flash alternative such as Carousel which someone else has successfully added to iWeb. Not sure if it supports categories, however. If it doesn't do what you want, Plan C: Google search for other Flash image gallery apps and install in the same manner as Carousel.

-jim

6. mknabster thread starter macrumors regular

Oh sorry, I thought I had mentioned that. Someone on the Apple discussion forum said that if I drag an album from iPhoto on the iWeb page, that should create a category for me. Have you heard of that before? I'll look into using Carousel as well.

7. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Never tried it. Otherwise, the advice given will be your alternative assuming your current gallery application cannot be modified, as you did not mention it either when asked.

-jim