Albums playing out of order

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wildmilne, Aug 8, 2008.

1. wildmilne macrumors regular

Not sure if its a 2.0.1 bug, never noticed this before. My albums show up in order when i view the songs, i click on one, it plays, then the song order starts jumping all over the place,not the order they show up in the list. Did i screw up some setting?

Thanks.

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

It's happening with mine as well, thinks it is in Shuffle mode...:(

4. busterbluth macrumors 6502

Dont know if this is sarcasm or not, but:

you have to click the screen to where you can scroll through the song, on the right side will be the shuffle option, it is on when it is colored blue...hope this helps

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It could be a "shuffle mode" issue or a problem with the integrity of the iTunes database. If all the information for each track of the album which should be the same isn't the same (such as the total number of tracks, or album art, artist name, album title), then the album may be treated as multiple albums by the iPhone (or iPod touch). These issues won't always show up in iTunes listings, but can be fixed there by selecting all the tracks of the album, getting info and making the necessary changes.

6. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

yep this is how you would fix it
    that screen is called the scrubber
    you access by tapping once on the now playing screen (the little thing with the progress bar appears, and to the right is the shuffle option)

7. johata3 macrumors regular

This is probably in shuffle mode on the iphone. If you want to turn it off, just tap the song that's being played and on the right corner, you can choose to turn it on or off. You can also choose to put on repeat or not.

If it's not shuffle mode, I'm not sure but try to restore it?

8. gray67 macrumors member

gray67

Just to be clear. It seems that the iPhone (whether it's 3G only or the 2.+ firmware) defaults to shuffle, regardless of whether or not you actually choose the shuffle option. At the top of every playlist is the Shuffle option. I was under the impression that if I did not choose this option that the iPhone would play through my playlist in order. However, that is NOT the case. If you select the song right below the SHuffle option, once that song is played, the next song will be picked at random (assuming that your global shuffle setting is turned on) unless you de-select the small blue shuffle icon that is to the right of the time tracker.

Stupid.

9. Carpe Deez macrumors member

The issue at hand...

I think I see the problem here. In older ipods, if you went to an artist, and then went to that artist's albums, and then played all songs from that artist, the songs would play in album order. On the ipod software on the iphone when you do this, the songs play in alphabetical order.

Any way to change this? I don't see one.

10. Carpe Deez macrumors member

No one has a problem with the way this works? You like your songs played in alphabetical order?

11. wildmilne thread starter macrumors regular

Ah...that seemed to do it. Thanks. Its weird the "shuffle" at the top of the current album doesnt seem to toggle it on / off.

12. Carpe Deez macrumors member

What about playing the songs in all the albums by a particular artist? That's still alphabetical. How about playing the songs in album order like on a normal ipod?

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Works for me on the touch, which is the same OS.

14. iFerd macrumors 6502a

I had this trouble right after I updated my first gen iPhone to version 2.0 of the firmware. The iPod would only shuffle songs within albums, no matter what I did. I restored the phone and it quit. There is no reason I can think of not to restore the phone - nothing was lost.

15. Carpe Deez macrumors member

What exactly works for you? If you went to an artist, and then went to that artist's albums, and then played all songs from that artist, the songs play in alphabetical order. Note... the artist should have more than one album to test this. If you say it plays tracks 1-x, then goes to the next album and plays 1-x, you're lying. It plays alphabetical.

My point is, I would like it to play through an album, then go to the next album, etc... Who the hell listens to their albums in alphabetical order?

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

My albums play in track order, but yeah, I'm lying. :rolleyes:

17. Carpe Deez macrumors member

Let's go through it slowly, so that you can understand.

1. Open up Ipod on your Iphone
    2. Go to Artists
    3. Click on an artist that has multiple albums
    4. What you see here is a tab for "All Songs" and a tab for each album.

At this point, if you click on "All Songs", the songs are listed in ALPHABETICAL order (with an option to Shuffle at the top.) There is no way to play ALL your albums sequentially in track order unless you go to each album, or place the albums into a playlist. Perhaps the Touch has different software, or maybe you are just a liar. Either way, this is how it works on the Iphone 3G, 2.0.1

18. gray67 macrumors member

gray67

and if you select the shuffle option or if you select the first song (with shuffle option in Settings turned on), then it will play randomly.

I confirmed the above. I believe that this is how the old iPod (I had a 5G) worked as well too, no?

19. Carpe Deez macrumors member

Nah, no way. With the older ipods (non-touch based) you would go to an artist, the albums would be listed, but from there you could "play all", and all the albums would play. One by one, in the order listed, and each album would play each track in order. There's no way to do this on the iPhone without putting the albums into a playlist. I hope someone can prove me wrong, because I would like that feature to return, but I don't think anyone can on this one.

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Curb the attitude. It's totally uncalled for.

I've never used the "all songs" selection but you are correct that it does not play the songs in track order. Individual albums play in track order, which is what I was reporting. If this is a big problem for you, a playlist is the obvious solution.

21. Carpe Deez macrumors member

It is not uncalled for. Had you read my original post, you could have saved us both some argument and time. Three posts later and we're where we should have been an hour ago. Thanks.

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You've been here less than two weeks and already you know what's appropriate? Ah, sorry. No.

23. Carpe Deez macrumors member

I don't care how long I've been here. Please re-up on your reading comprehension skills to avoid arguments. It's not that difficult. If you speak in your matter of fact flow, expect more of the same when you're wrong, as you were in this case.

24. wildmilne thread starter macrumors regular

oh, ipod does that? My creative zen plays them alphabetically, which i thought was stupid, but after the iphone did the same i thought it was some dumb "industry standard" implementation

25. Carpe Deez macrumors member

Yes, the original ipods (non-touch) do that for sure. Hopefully the iPhone ipod software will change at some point to reflect the original functionality.