Alert chirps on watch AND iphone??

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by pmcdn, Jul 22, 2015.

1. pmcdn macrumors regular

Am I supposed to be getting a message alert (or call ring) on both watch AND iPhone at the same time while iphone is locked?

Also, when I was getting alerts for messages/calls on watch it was ringing and lighting up. Now it just rings/dings but remains dark.

Thoughts?

Apple Watch, null

2. mcd578 macrumors newbie

3. FireWaterEarthAir macrumors member

FireWaterEarthAir

Is there a way to enable the notification sounds on my iPhone so that they still alert me when I'm wearing my AW and my iPhone is locked? I've looked for that option in settings, but can't find it.

I like my iPhone alert sounds, and didn't think that I wouldn't hear them anymore when I got the AW. There doesn't even seem to be an option to use my custom alert sounds on the AW...

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

No, that defeats the purpose of getting notifications on the Watch. When your iPhone is not in use, you get them on the Watch instead and vice versa.

5. FireWaterEarthAir macrumors member

FireWaterEarthAir

It doesn't "defeat the purpose" at all. I don't want it to be a full replacement for my alerts, especially when my iPhone isn't set to silent/vibrate. When it's set to silent/vibrate, then of course I don't want to hear my iPhone notifications.

It should be an option.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You can customize how you want to be alerted on the Watch rather than merely mirroring the iPhone. For example, I prefer to get no alerts for Mail on the iPhone but I like getting them on the Watch. Use "Custom" instead of "Mirror my iPhone."

However, if you have alerts on both, they'll come through on whichever device is in use at the time.

7. FireWaterEarthAir macrumors member

FireWaterEarthAir

Thank you, but I am already aware of this very basic ability to customize alerts.

There should be more customization options available. For example, I like the custom text tone that I use on my iPhone. I should be able to set that tone as my text tone in my AW. I should have the option of playing alert tones on my iPhone and AW at the same time. There is no reason to exclude these options as Apple seems to have done.

8. papbot macrumors 6502

All phone calls will ring both on the phone and the watch that's normal behavior and is in the user guide. The messages issue is a bug that came with the 1.0.1 update. I've been able to fix it each time by going to Settings on the phone and under Notifications look for Messages and turn Allow Notifications off and then on again. So far that has worked every time for me but it will occur again every now and then.

9. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

While I find it a bit redundant, I respect your opinion and agree that it should be a choice. To that end though, the software is extremely green and they're planning a huge update in the fall so it's not like they've been sitting on their hands. They can't know every single option people are interested in and more options isn't always a better thing, so it makes sense to start basic and add on with time. If I were you, I'd leave feedback requesting the option in a future update.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I wanted this too but there are no options here for this.

11. pmcdn thread starter macrumors regular

Not on mine. When my iPhone is locked I get alerts from both. I'd prefer it be watch instead unless iphone is unlocked.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The exception is phone calls, where it's normal to get alerts from both. You should get message/email alerts only on the active device. However, someone mentioned a bug that can be resolved by toggling the notification button.

13. FireWaterEarthAir macrumors member

FireWaterEarthAir

Yes, I've already been submitting my suggestions to Apple whenever I think of something that I'd like the AW to do. I recognize that the software is very basic and still in its infancy.