Alert Message

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by crtvmac, Aug 14, 2009.

1. crtvmac Guest

I have a Power Mac G4 Quicksilver 933Mhz running OS X 10.4.11. Ever since I upgraded from Vs. OS X 10.4, I have had problems with my browsers. When I boot up I get an alert message with a red sign that shows for about two or three quick seconds. I am not able to read what it states. Can someone tell me how to bring up this alert message. I think it might have something to do with how my browser is not functioning properly. I can't load up some pages with my Safari or FireFox browsers; I get a blank screen, but the URL shows up with some additional information. I also have a 2009 Mac Pro that does not have this problem with loading up web site pages. Can anyone help me?

2. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

This may work:

1. Download OnyX (a free maintenance utility).
    http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11582

2. Open OnyX and Click Cancel on these two Alert Panels:
    -Cancel the S.M.A.R.T. Box
    -Cancel the Startup Volume Box

3. Enter your Password

4. Click on the Cleaning Tab

5. In each tab, within the Cleaning Tab, execute the command. Check all the boxes in each tab. When its finished in that tab, it will ask you to reboot. Say NO. Go on to the next tab and repeat until all tabs, within the Cleaning Tab, are done. THEN REBOOT.

3. crtvmac thread starter Guest

I executed each of the commands you instructed in the Cleaning Tabs . With the exception of this Applescript Error appearing: Can't get <<class bhit>> of 1. (-1728), all went well running OnyX. The alert window box with the red sign that was appearing for two or three seconds when I booted up seem to have stop appearing. The overall performance of my computer seems to have improved. Programs appear to be running more quickly. My web browser is loading web sites with more snap/quickly. However, I am still having problems I initially stated loading some web sites. This happens when I try to load the top two or three web sites in a search engine query, or when I click on an advertisement to load on web sites such as Youtube. I get a blank page, but the title of the page shows: aclk 1x1 pixels.

4. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

5. crtvmac thread starter Guest

Alert Message

I'm using version 4.0.2. of Safari. I was having the same problem with all versions of 3.0. My computer started acting erratically when I started doing security updates from Apple's server. I also have problems with my Network Settings. When I click on Network Settings in Systems preferences, I kept getting a drop down window that states: " Your network setting have been changed by another application". When I click on "OK" to acknowledge the message, the same message keeps appearing in a drop down window in "Network" window. It appears to be in a continuous loop. I ran virus program, but that did not resolve my Quicksilver G4 operating erratic.

6. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

From - http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1710040&tstart=0

"I was at least able to get around the endless loop of screens by a two hand maneuver. I used the return key to click the "OK" button on the "Your network settings have been changed by another application" screen and then immediately clicked on the "location" pull down menu and was able to get in before the next alert screen came down.

Then I pulled down to "edit" on that location pull down, and for no real reason, clicked rename and then cancel. The endless loop of alerts went away and came back after I closed system prefs, but it was gone long enough to switch locations . . ."

This endless loop problem seem to be accompanied with the latest Security Update with Tiger.

Also Try This:
    This currently reported problem, which manifests after applying Security Update 2008-06, can be fixed permanently by removing the following preferences files:

Go to Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration and delete the following (suggest make copies to the desktop first if in doubt):

com.apple.airport.preferences.plist
    NetworkInterfaces.plist
    preferences.plist
    com.apple.nat.plist

Or This:
    "I used the following solution and have had a positive result. BTW, I'm using my Airport to connect to the network. Open your Network prefs panel, and using the "two handed approach" in under the Airport tab, click the Options button. This brings up a dialog box for Airport settings. Now click the Restore Defaults. Problem goes away.
    All these files will regenerate as necessary when the associated system features are accessed. If you're using Airport or Internet Sharing you'll have to reestablish the appropriate settings, because these will have been lost when the preferences files are removed. Small price to pay, however for a permanent, and very simple solution to this irritating problem."

7. crtvmac thread starter Guest

I went to the link you suggested. Read through them all. Got to the last post that stated: "It is a easy solution. Please install the latest security update 2009-002. And when you open the networks window, you will get the message "Your network settings have been changed by another application." Use you 'enter' key and the message vanishes for a second. In that second gap, click on 'Assist me...' at the bottom with your mouse. And then you get a message from Assist me. Press 'Cancel'. It should resolve." This solution worked, so I did not have to go into the library folder and remove any files. All problems have been resolve with your help (Thanks), except for the one I am having with my browsers not opening the top two or three web sites in my search engine queries and advertisement links on web sites such as YouTube. It might have something to do with the third party program I am using called Internet Cleanup. It has features such as privacy protection, monitor communications, block annoying ads and pop-ups. I will remove this program and see if it resolves the browser problem.

8. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Yeah that sounds about right.