Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RandoMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
I've seen that others have encountered this too. Now that my alarm didn't go off this morning, I'm getting very concerned!

After updating to iOS6 a few weeks ago, I noticed at least 3 phone calls that did not either ring or vibrate. For 2 of them, I didn't know I had a call until I saw the missed call in my Recent call list. On the 3rd, I got a voice mail alert but no record of the preceding call! In other words, the original call never showed up in the Recent list.

I also had a few texts arrive that never notified me with the usual tone and vibration.

I rebooted (about 2 weeks ago) and things started working OK, but this morning my Nightstand Central alarm didn't generate the alarm tone. My wife's alarm goes off near the same time, so I was waiting for my tone. I looked over at the phone and saw the visual alert with the Snooze or Stop buttons, but no sound!

Here's where it gets interesting. I am in the app's Pick a Sound page, and I can select among the 20 or so tones. Many of them make a sound when selected, but others (including the one I normally use, the Old Fashioned tone) do nothing. Here's the list:

Tones that currently make a sound:
Birds, Brown Noise, Fan, Rain, Spring Weather, White Noise, Beeper, Dial Up Modem, Doorbell, Ping, Reveille

Tones that do nothing:
Flowing Water, Waves, Air Raid, Alarm Clock, Church Bells, Harp, Old Fashioned, Synth

What's the deal? I've used this app for a year and never had this problem, it has always been very dependable. I suspect the iOS6 update.

I also started using the Do Not Disturb feature immediately after the update. I wonder if the bug is tied to this feature. Again, I've used Do Not Disturb now for weeks and I never had the alarm sound issue before, so something strange is going on.

I just rebooted again and the sounds now work. So something is getting corrupted after use.

RandoMan

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Hrmm. I noticed my texts stopped making sounds a few days ago. I just rebooted today and things seem to work okay.

Maybe we need to test the phone w/o using the DND feature. I too have my on though I don't recall if the sounds stopped after I switched it on.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
My phone has given me a few blanks when texts came in, one that got me in deep **** at the hospital. iOS 6 may be the worst/buggy release by apple to date. Which I don't get since it doesn't change drastically and the have a year to develop it.

RandoMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
For what it's worth, I turned DND off after my post above and I experienced the silent alarm again this morning. Also noticed that there were no key clicks while texting. I'm starting to think there's a general audio bug in iOS6.

Alarian

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2011
I'm experiencing the same problem. Since upgrading to 6 I've had to reboot my 4s more times to get my sound working than I have in the past year total. I've had my alarm (nightstand) fail to give an audible alarm (although the visual que is there) 3 times now and I'm starting to get paranoid. I've had to drive my kids in to school 3 times now and it's getting really frustrating. My wife is not happy as well. As she normally gets up an hour after me and now she's paranoid about if I'm going to wake up as well.

This latest update is hands down the worst I've ever seen. I really hope they get a fix for this fast. I'm going to have to buy an alarm clock here soon otherwise.

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
Hrmm. I noticed my texts stopped making sounds a few days ago. I just rebooted today and things seem to work okay.

Maybe we need to test the phone w/o using the DND feature. I too have my on though I don't recall if the sounds stopped after I switched it on.

this is happening to me now...

i bought a pimp alert sound from the app store, and put it in the text message field and its not playing (it plays when selected only).

i will try re-boot.

KattDaDon

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
My alert sounds was working fine until yesterday. All of a sudden no sound even with volume turn up on full blast. I did a quick reboot and it was back to normal. :D

spacehog371

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2003
I've had the same issue... calls that don't ring, texts that don't ring.

I talk on and use my phone a lot, and I noticed this morning that I wasn't getting incoming text sounds like I usually do... made me miss a couple text messages.

I do use DND on a schedule. Sounds like it might be related to that.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Same here. I wish Apple would at least address the issue. Started with Facebook, then Instagram, then Foursquare and twitter etc. Now pretty much all apps are silent. No email or text sound either. Not sure what is happening, but it seems like each day something new stops making sound. Very frustrating. Wish Apple would at least say something like, we know this is an issue, and a fix is coming.

iSilver

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2011
Same thing here...

I've been using Nightstand for a year without any problem before iOS6.

But when It failed to wake me up, I switched to the brand new Clock app. It worked for a few days then this morning it also failed to start!

When the bug appear, I also found out that I can't play any songs either with Music or Songza AND my live streaming tv channel (RDI and Radio-Canada) Apps are also not working.

The only solution seems indeed to be rebooting the iPad...

I've been rebooting my Ipad more often since iOS6 than since I bought the device. It feels like it runs Windows Vista all of the sudden...

Frak...

vbjeff

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
There is a bug in iOS6 that causes the alerts/notifications volume to get tied to the music volume after using Siri (or voice navigation which uses Siri). To fix it, you can either start the music app and increase the volume or restart the phone. Hopefully it will be fixed soon??

Major General

macrumors member
May 26, 2012
same has happened to me, I've done the same as above and rebooted my device. So far all sounds work

Jdem2

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2011
NJ and PA
Same here on this issue.

I noticed my sounds vanish after the phone has been docked to something and I noticed that SMS and iMessage audible alerts stop working if I disable "View in Lock Screen" in Notifications.

Very troubling!!

What is frustrating me even more is that none of the lists of bugs I've seen about 6.01 even mention the audio bug

condrys

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
Same Thing

I've been having the same issue with my wife's iPhone 4S. It will be working fine, then we'll wake up and realize the alarm is not sounding, only displaying the alert on the alarm screen directing to turn off alarm or snooze. When this happens, I've found that all of her operational sounds are disabled (selecting, clicking, typing, screen off, open screen, etc...) I'm not sure about media sound, but will check that too if this happens again. As with everyone else, restarting the phone fixes the problem, at least temporarily. I'm not sure that it's related to the Nightstand Alarm app, or if that is just when we discover the problem happening. So... I've replaced the Nightstand Alarm app with a different app and we'll see if it happens again. In the meantime, I use my iPhone alarm to back hers up. Hopefully if it's an iOS issue, they'll get it fixed in an upcoming update.

RandoMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
Still happening after 6.0.1

This morning I heard a voicemail alert on my phone. Turns out I got a call and voicemail but the damn phone didn't ring. I'm getting really ticked about this - how in the world would my voicemail alert make a sound but the ringer not? I definitely don't have any of the volumes turned down, I never do that, so that's not the problem.

I updated to iOS6.0.1 a few days ago, certainly there's no fix for this in there. Another reboot required. C'mon Apple, sheesh.

AlphaVictor87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Saint Louis, MO
Ok thought i was going crazy. I sat there getting texts yesterday and then about halfway into my conversation i realized it was not vibrating or playing sounds.

Ended up restarting and it fixed the issue. Very annoying.

Jahubaru

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2012
Today on a conference call I put my phone on speaker phone. Folks could hear me, but I could not hear them. After that I am missing every incoming call because my phone is not ringing and no sound with text, no alarm, no keyboard sounds, etc.. I have restarted etc.. It still isn't fixed. Any ideas,?

Zoe10

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2012
I have experienced the same problem. Very annoying it is. i checked everything in the settings if it was not on dnd but still not working.i rebooted the phone but even that didnt resolve it I tried checking the assistive touch and selected Device option and it was on Mute state when i unmuted that option the sounds were back. I just want to share. It might help. Ü

Last edited:

ru4real

macrumors member
May 19, 2010
My mom just came to me because she is having this problem with her iPhone 4. She has already brought it into an Apple store, and they told her everything was fine. She's not using any of the apps mentioned in this thread.

She's having 2 major issues: 1) the phone will just stop making any operational sounds - no keyboard clicks, no lock noise, no plugged in / charging noise, no phone or text alerts. 2) She'll be on a call and all of a sudden the people she's talking to can't hear her, even though she can still hear them.

Has anyone figured out a fix for this yet? Any chance that updating to 6.1 will solve the issue?

srange

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2013
iphone 5, os6.1 still all sounds has vanished

i just updated my iph5 to 0s6.1 thinking it miight help me get back ALL of my sounds, nothing :confused:
Rebooted several times, mod all settings, still same problem, happen 3 days ago!
Apple :apple:
Do you care?

ru4real

macrumors member
May 19, 2010
Hm, so now in addition to the iphone 4 my mom has, my wife's iphone 5 is having this same problem! I'm surprised there isn't much more being written about this as it seems like a pretty big deal

johngbarone

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2013
iphone 5, sounds vanished but found a fix

I had same issues as most posted below...and tried various fixes...then I just noticed that phone was still linked to my bluetooth headset which is usually left in my car while I am at work or home.
I went to Settings, turned bluetooth off and all sounds are back.

joflo723

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2010
4s running 6.1.2

Having same issues as OP, even down to having the same trouble with Nightstand (however, I am only able to hear 2 of the stock sounds (birds and doorbell)...all others give no sound whatsoever). Rebooting fixed it, but by then I'm already late for work. :mad:

Just wish I knew if this was a iOS bug or an app bug.

Jo

King E.L.

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2013
no keyboard clicks, no lock noise, no plugged in or charging noise, no phone or text alerts - i was thinking i had clicked something accidently on my iPhone 5, but now i see its a major problem, which has to get fixed asap by :apple:

:mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.