Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Wow, I use avast for windows, I'll have to see if they installed that on my windows box. I agree with MacDawg, this is just another reason why I don't install any of this stuff on my Macs

freiheit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2004
California
Agreed MacDawg, but props to LittleSnitch for alerting me of the outbound connection from Avast app which I had never agreed to install. Otherwise I might not have known.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Here's the a link talking about the software https://www.avast.com/en-us/secureline-vpn

Its part of the internet security suite and while they should have been perhaps more clear about it. Its a "feature" that allows you to secure your internet connection when on an open wifi connection. Right now its only on windows, but from the links provided by the OP, it seems that it mades it way into the OS X version either knowingly or in error.

I'm not defending the actions as much as explaining the purpose of the application.

freiheit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2004
California
Thank you for the explanation, Mike. That's more than I ever got out of either Avast or their forum moderators who essentially just snorted in derision, rolled their eyes and blamed users for being upset about unannounced software being installed and launched without their knowledge.

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
Most of these AV software are extremely intrusive. Just the other day I have tried one, it took me several tries to uninstall it completely, finishing the process manually.
As simonsi I have ClamXav (plus Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac, successor of AdwareMedic) which is an on-demand AV app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.