Alerted to malware/virus on PC but not MAC - Did I get it on my MAC?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dsring, Jul 9, 2008.

1. dsring macrumors newbie

Greetings,

I was alerted to a malware/virus from Kaspersky via my windows system on the following URL: http://www.helpusellfranchise.com/locatearegion/ after selecting a state from the map. That's good... but I was viewing this site from my MAC earlier in the day and did not receive any warning.

I am not running any protection software on my MAC and for some reason my MAC firewall was wide open. Got the FW issue resolved.

I'd like to know if my Safari Browser and/or MAC OS 10.5.4 may have picked up this malware/virus from the mentioned web site? The site appears to suck down a java script from www.ktrcom.com ...

How do I know if my MAC has been infected, and what software could I use to avoid this in the future?

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

There are no Mac viruses in the wild, nor malware. The only software to beware of is a trojan horse which would have attempted to install and prompted you for your password. There's really nothing to worry about.

Most likely you didn't get a virus anyways, but merely a popup trying to scare you into buying something, but if you did get one on your PC, and the file was also downloaded on your Mac, it's sitting inert in your downloads folder, unable to run because it's a Windows .exe.

jW

3. superman193 macrumors regular

Macs dont get virus's. Your safe, you dont need AV software.