alerts don't automatically turn on the screen

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by deany, Nov 13, 2015.

1. deany macrumors 68030

deany

When I get a notification or phone call, alarm etc on the Apple Watch, it alerts me with a taptic tap. All fine so far.

•But it doesn't automatically turn on the screen on all occasions.•

I'm fairly sure I'm not using the phone at the time. I definitely dont have DND on, yet ocassionally the screen doesn't turn on.

Any ideas?

thanks

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I don't think it's supposed to turn the screen on automatically - the tap / sound alerts you of an incoming notification and you raise your wrist to view it, which turns the screen on

3. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

agree

4. deany thread starter macrumors 68030

deany

Phil & convergent thanks for your reply.

I think occasionally if the taptic tap occurs if my arm is say, by my side _but in sight_. I sort of expected that the screen would light up as soon as the tap occurs.

I guess the way they have designed it make sense.

Because if you are talking to someone it doesn't have to be a distraction. I'm sure there are other benefits as well (cinema).

I know how it work now is 'normal' & what to do and expect. i.e. just raise my wrist!.

thanks again,

deany

5. Mac2me macrumors 6502a

Phil and Convergent are correct. You should feel a tap and sound (if set for that) to indicate a notification has come in. If you're watch is set to Silence you won't hear a sound but still feel a tap, if set to Do Not Disturb you won't see or hear either. If you don't acknowledge the Notification, then you will see a red dot at the top of the screen letting you know you have something that came in so you don't forget something's waiting for your attention. Discreet is the word and you deal with notifications on your own terms.

6. deany thread starter macrumors 68030

deany

thanks for you reply much appreciated.