Alesis MultiMix 16 USB + Logic?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Derwood, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Derwood macrumors regular

Hi All,

At the moment I have a 2 x XLR, 2 x 1/4" USB interface and Logic Express 7.2

I would very much like to be able to record full drum kits and generally have a little bit more flexibility in terms of mic inputs. Does anyone have any experience of using this interface? I'm just looking for some general impressions before I buy (i have seen one advertised for £120 which to me seems quite reasonable given the RRP of £220).

Cheers, Derwood

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

that's not 16 channels of conversion you're getting there, it's only stereo. so in order to record a drumkit, you'd have to pre-mix everything to 2 channels and live with it.

dunno if you're okay with that, but i wouldn't be.

3. Derwood thread starter macrumors regular

Hmmm...

...well, that's kind of what I'm doing at the moment (analogue spirit folio going into m-audio pre mobile usb). Thought it was too good to be true.

So, if it's effectively a two-channel interface what the hee-haw is the benefit of having 16 channels on the desk - outboard effects routing? :confused:

Cheers for the reply zimv20.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

one could always buy a 16 channel a/d converter and use the channel outs to feed it. of course, things start getting expensive then.

for future reference, there's no way USB can handle 16 channels of audio, or even 8. you'll need firewire for that.

for 8 channels of pre and conversion, maybe have a look at the presonus firepod. i've not used it, but i think others here have and maybe they could chime in.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The Alesis USB is a combo mixer and interface, for those who don't already have a mixer and server achannels of preamp.

The Firewire version of the Alesis however, will record all channels

6. Derwood thread starter macrumors regular

Great stuff!

...many thanks chaps. I'll have a look at the presonus and the firewire Alesis options. :)