Alexa Now Supports Apple Music in Germany, France, Italy, Spain, and Austria [Updated]

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
www.macrumors.com

Apple Music will be available to stream on German Echo devices via Alexa from today, reports regional tech blog ifun.de.

We've not received official confirmation, but if Germany's Alexa rollout follows a similar pattern to other countries, it should mean Apple Music subscribers who own an Echo device, Amazon Fire TV, or Alexa-enabled Sonos speaker will soon be able ask Alexa to play songs, artists, playlists, and more from Apple Music.

This functionality first launched in the United States in December of last year before expanding to the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, and Japan.

Read our guide on how to set up Apple Music in the Alexa app, including how to make it the default music service so that you don't have to say "on Apple Music" each time you ask Alexa to play something.

Update: Alexa has also gained support for Apple Music in France, Italy, and Spain, according to local outlets iGeneration, iPhoneItalia, and Teknófilo.

Update 2: As of August 28, 2019, Apple has confirmed that Alexa supports Apple Music in Austria, Australia, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Japan, New Zealand, Spain, the United Kingdom, and the United States.

Article Link: Alexa Now Supports Apple Music in Germany, France, Italy, Spain, and Austria [Updated]

DempaX

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2014
Sweden
Great it comes with official support now but I've used Apple Music on my Alexa devices in Europe since Dec via my US account so it has at least been Ok to stream abroad with your US account.

DempaX

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2014
Sweden
Geofencing gone wrong.
I'm giving money to spotify instead just because of this stupid limitation.
Heh, I cancelled Spotify when I moved to US because I was not allowed to stream there :) but that was quite some years ago.

SSD-GUY

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
Interstellar
When can they bring this to my Google Home nest? I prefer Google's search/directions/traffic/public transport over any other smart assistant

Jim Lahey

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2014
Great Britain
I have no idea of the inner workings of this, but I'm uneasy with the idea of Amazon dipping their toe into my Apple user data. Probably paranoia, but data paranoia is healthy in today's world :cool:

Reactions: Crowbot

cgaw23

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2015
I wish apple would add Apple Music functionality to my gaming consoles.

Kyle4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
Canada
Still not impressed this function isn’t in Canada yet. I got one for Christmas last year and finally got rid of it a few months ago because it never came, and it still hasn’t.

Reactions: ipedro

MrSpock75

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2015
Düsseldorf, Germany
Just checked on my Alexa App, but I do not see yet "Apple Music" as option under "linked service"....
[doublepost=1566312615][/doublepost]
Just checked on my Alexa App, but I do not see yet "Apple Music" as option under "linked service"....
Looks like you need to go to the Amazon website and active the skill there - it is not working via the Alexa App itself.
Searched for Alexa skill "Apple Music", activate and login to Apple with your ID and approve the link. Now Alexa App shows me "Apple Music".

Really happy now :)

Last edited:
Reactions: minulet

ipedro

macrumors 601
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Still not impressed this function isn’t in Canada yet. I got one for Christmas last year and finally got rid of it a few months ago because it never came, and it still hasn’t.
I really wonder what's holding this back. Clearly Apple is ok with offering Apple Music on Amazon devices and I can't imagine there are any licensing problems since it's just a speaker like any other you can play AppleMusic on.

I guess it'll come sooner or later.

I got an Echo Show for the bedroom because I like the idea of a screen with a summary of my day as well as a large clock on my bedside table. I'm using my Prime 30 day trial for music but that's going to run out soon. Would be so great if AppleMusic came to Echo devices in Canada soon.